Part 11

I rubbed my clammy palms against my denim-clad thighs as Jason pulled his car onto the street.

"So," I began awkwardly. "I'm supposed to tell Claire where we're going before we leave. It's just that I'm here for the first time . . ."

"Leena, I get it," he said with an understanding smile. "First, we're having lunch at a restaurant nearby. After that, we're going to Hollywood Boulevard for dessert."

"Okay, sounds great!" I beamed. Pulling out my phone, I composed a quick message as I said, "I'll text Claire."

Almost immediately, my phone lit up with a response: Okay. Be safe and have fun, Lee.

Thanks, I will, I replied.

Dropping my phone into my backpack, I asked, "What exactly is this dessert place we're going to?"

Jason broke into an adorable, boyish grin. "You'll find out soon." 

"I can't wait," I exclaimed, squirming against the seatbelt strapped across my body. 

We settled into a comfortable silence as Jason navigated through the late afternoon traffic. I attempted to stare out the window, but I found that the streets of LA weren't half as interesting as the guy sitting beside me. I watched him surreptitiously, hypnotised by his hands gliding over the steering wheel and gearbox. A jolt of envy shot through me as I admired the way Jason did everything with natural ease and comfort.

"There," he said suddenly, startling me. 

I followed his gaze to a small restaurant called Wrap and Roll nestled between a supermarket and a clothing boutique.

Jason deftly manoeuvred his car into a vacant parking space nearby. Unbuckling our seat belts, we hurried towards the restaurant to escape the oppressive afternoon heat. We walked into Wrap and Roll, instantly gratified by a rush of cool air. A sleepy atmosphere prevailed in the modestly furnished eatery, only two of its numerous tables occupied.  

Moments after Jason and I settled into a cosy corner booth, a waitress with glowing caramel skin and short, dark hair headed towards our table, a small notepad and pen in her hands.

"Hi! Welcome to Wrap and Roll," she smiled, straightening her green apron. "I'm Rhonda. What can I get you guys today?"

Jason gestured towards me. I scanned the large, colourful menu, settling for a roasted mushroom and chickpea wrap. 

"I'll have a barbeque ranch wrap, please," Jason said. 

"Anything to drink?" Rhonda asked. "We have fresh lemonade." 

Jason and I nodded in unison, tempted by the idea of an ice-cold drink. The waitress scribbled our order onto her notepad. 

"I'll bring you your food in a few minutes," she said, heading off with a smile.

Suddenly, an angry, shrill female voice erupted from nearby.

"Are you fucking kidding me? The bride wants birds inside the wedding hall?" she shrieked. 

Startled by the stranger's outburst, I straightened to find a woman dressed in a grey jumpsuit, shouting into her iPhone. 

"Like, real live birds? What is wrong with her?" she demanded, her platinum blonde hair bouncing as she shook her head animatedly. "Does she not realise there would be bird shit everywhere? What kind of bird is she asking for, anyway?"

Jason and I exchanged glances, both of us struggling to withhold our laughter.

"Cockatoos? She asked for cockatoos?" the woman exploded, totally oblivious to her surroundings. "She asked for talking, shitting birds on her wedding day?"