“I wanted to leave, I wanted to forget I’d ever seen it, but he wouldn’t let me leave. He forced me to look at his fangs, to feel how sharp they were. He promised me he wouldn’t hurt me, he would never do anything I wouldn’t agree to. I loved him, so eventually I calmed down and listened to his story. He told me everything and I listened. He gave me a week to think about all of this, but then I’d have to decide if I wanted to continue seeing him or break up with him. He said he’d understand if I preferred a human.

“I thought about leaving him, but in the end, I couldn’t do it. I couldn’t blame him for being a vampire. It was something that he didn’t have any control over. He could’ve hurt me so many times, yet he never had. I trusted him and decided to take a chance. Before the week was over, I returned to him and told him I would at least try to make it work.

“He was thrilled with my decision. I don’t think Jack really expected I’d stay with him after he’d revealed the truth about himself. The first months were hard, but we managed. Everything was well again. We were in love and nothing would ever separate us.

“When I was close to turning twenty-one, he asked me to move in with him. Both of our parents were old-fashioned, forcing us to marry before we would move in together. So I married him. The honeymoon was the first time I gave him my blood. I thought I was okay with it, but I guess I wasn’t ready. When he took my blood, he wasn’t sweet and tender like he usually was. He was harsh and he actually hurt me. I tried to tell him I didn’t want to give him blood anymore, but he wouldn’t let me. He didn’t force me into it, exactly… I just never seemed to be able to tell him no.

“After that first time, he took blood from me more often. Sometimes he took too much and I wouldn’t be able to go to college because of the blood loss. I was weak all the time, but it never occurred to me to speak up. I let it all happen. Sometimes I would black out and wake up without knowing what had happened. I lived in a haze those days. I felt like my mind was clouded – I couldn’t think straight anymore.”

I gasped. That sounded an awful lot like what Eros did to me sometimes… But it couldn’t be… No – my father couldn’t have compelled my mother to make her do his bidding? Would he really be that cruel to the girl he loved?

My mother continued her story, so caught up in it that she was oblivious to my startled reaction. “When I finished my studies, I wasn’t myself. My friends were strangers to me and I rarely talked to my parents. He was my life. I was nothing without him anymore. He had changed too. He told me it was nothing, just some vampire business he had to deal with. But it wasn’t nothing. I still don’t know what happened to him, but he changed from a loving person to a cruel one. He would molest me, he would take blood whenever he felt like it and he often forgot the fact that I was human and, unlike him, needed to eat and drink from time to time.”

My mother’s face was pale now, her eyes watering. She was looking down at her half-eaten pancake. I reached over the table and took her hand in mine. I hadn’t expected she’d tell me the story in such detail, but I was glad she was.

“I don’t remember half of what happened after we married, but I know it was bad. He would get into fits sometimes, yelling at the walls around him. I remember hearing him talking to himself one day: ‘I need to get myself together – this isn’t possible. I can’t be this powerful, I can’t. I can’t keep doing this to her, yet I’m not strong enough to leave her. She needs to leave on her own, but she can’t… I have to stop this!’ I never understood what he was rambling on and on about, but it must have been important to him. All I knew was that he didn’t mean to do this to me. But he was doing all those horrible things to me and I needed to make it all stop. Sometimes I found myself wanting him to drain me, begging him to… well, to do stuff to me I’m not going to tell you. I wanted it all, but once he was gone I didn’t know why I’d wanted it. All I could feel was empty.”