The First Night

The music faded and sped back up. Shelby looked up and smiled at Kaidan. They walked back to the bar, with Kaidan's arm around Shelby's shoulders until they sat back down. Shelby looked at her drink with a smile creeping up on her lips as she started to speak.

"Do you know how long it's been since I've actually danced - with a real smile?" Shelby said and turned her head towards Kaidan.

Kaidan smiled and looked at Shelby. "Well, then I feel like I did something good." He said.

Shelby had a big smile on her face. "You did. You've just accomplished what my family used to think was impossible." She smiled out.

Kaidan lightly bumped Shelby's arm. "Come on, let's get out of here." He said.

Shelby just continued to smile and stood up with Kaidan. He paid for their drinks, then Shelby held out her hand and nodded to it. Kaidan wrapped his arm around her shoulders and pulled her to his side. Shelby looked up at him with a big smile. They walked outside and sat on a bench not far from Shelby's apartment.

Shelby was sitting on the bench seemingly staring at nothing with her same little toothless smile.

"What are you thinking about?" Kaidan asked curiously with a growing smile.

"Us. We've only known each other a few days, but it feels like I've known you for years."

"Yeah it does. Oh wow. It really has only been three days hasn't it?" Kaidan asked in slight awe as he leaned against the backboard of the bench.

"I know. It feels like a lot longer than that.... It's probably because we talk like a pair of sugar high squirrels." Shelby joked with a little smile.

"Or maybe we're just meant to be." Kaidan joked.

Shelby chuckled a bit and playfully pushed his shoulder away. Kaidan chuckled and raised his eyebrows as Shelby yawned a little.

"Well, looks like we'd better get you back." He said.

"Well, when you wake a girl up early and then run her all over the Citadel the whole day, and then keep her up until 12:00 in the morning, it gets exhausting." Shelby sassed.

"Alright then smartass. Let's get you back home." Kaidan said with a chuckle as he stood up.

Shelby stood up with him and they walked to the apartment building and then to Shelby's door, non-stop talking with each other the whole time, as per usual.

"Well, here ya are Shelby. I'll see you tomorrow?" Kaidan asked as they stopped outside of her door.

"Uh, yeah. I'll see you tomorrow. Thank you, for everything today Kaidan." Shelby said almost distantly.

Kaidan gently grabbed Shelby's elbow in concern as she opened the door. "Are you alright? You seem like you don't want to go in alone." Kaidan asked concerned.

Shelby just nodded her head toward the open door, telling Kaidan to come in with her. She didn't like talking about her personal life where others could be within earshot, and Kaidan knew that, so he followed her to the couch and sat down next to her.

"Honestly, I'm glad that I'm safe and I'm not dead and all, but...."

"But what if you have nightmares again?" Kaidan asked, finishing Shelby's sentence.

Shelby nodded. "Yeah." She said quietly under her breath.

"Come 'ere." Kaidan said and wrapped his arms around Shelby with a hug, comforting her. "You'll be alright, Shelby. But, if it'll make you feel better, I can stay here with you a couple of nights and look out for you or until you get used to the place."