Escape To Safety

"I'm truly sorry for your losses Shelby, but for your safety's sake, you need to come with me." Kaidan said wiping some of the blood from Shelby's cheeks. She looked back at her family home one last time as a burning home behind them collapsed, closing off her alternative route to Dan. Both of them ducked and Kaidan grabbed Shelby's waist and pulled her away.

"No! Dan!" Shelby exclaimed and tried to run, but Kaidan held her back.

"Shelby, we gotta go!" He ordered as another building closer to them fell in the road behind them.

Kaidan gave Shelby another little tug, and she turned and bolted away with Kaidan leading the way. They almost got to the pickup site when Joker came into Kaidan's ear piece. "Kaidan, Please tell me you're alive."

Kaidan ignored him for now since they were in sight of the Normandy. "Come on man, I don't want to have to leave you." Joker warned.

"We're fine Joker. We just got into the airlock." Kaidan finally said, clearly a bit out of breath.

Right on cue, the door closed and the Normandy took off.

"Wait, what do you mean we're? Kaidan you were the last one left to pick up." Joker pointed out.

"I'll explain when I get up there."

"Tell ME later. Captain wants to see you in his office. Both of you. Like, now."

"Thanks Joker."

"So, are you a Commander or something?" Shelby asked shyly as she rubbed her upper arm.

"Me?" He chuckled. "No. I'm just a private. Nothing too special." He said calmly.

Shelby snorted. "Nothing too special? Everything about being an Alliance soldier is special! I'd love to be an N7 soldier someday." Shelby said with a bit of excitement. "But I have to wait two years before I can even sign up." She sounded disappointed at that last statement.

They stepped out of the airlock and Kaidan led the way to the Captain's office to meet with Anderson while Shelby did her best to clean herself up. "Well, if that's the case, maybe we can work something out with Anderson."

Shelby's eyes lit up a little bit and she actually sounded hopeful. "Like what?" She asked.

"We'll have to find out." Kaidan said and opened the door.

"Good work down there, Mr. Alenko who did you bring with you?"

"Sir, this is Shel..."

"My name is Shelby Shepard sir. It's an honor to meet you." Shelby interupted and stuck out her hand.

Anderson smiled a bit and shook Shelby's hand. "I think I know partly why you brought her aboard, Alenko." Captain Anderson said and turned to look at Shelby.

"How old are you Shelby?"

"I'm 16 sir. Well, 16 ½. My birthday is in a few weeks."

"Well, then you're not too far off the deadline."

Shelby knew what deadline he was talking about. She couldn't help but get a little excited inside when she heard this.

"Shelby, do you think that you would ever be interested in becoming a soldier?" Anderson asked.

"Yes sir! Ever since I was young, I've wanted to become an N7 soldier."

"Excellent! So, then I assume you plan to sign up next year?"

"Yes sir." Shelby replied.

"Well then, back at the Citadel, in C-Sec, on non-official training days, Friday nights, Saturday and Sunday, there is a Junior Operatives Of The Alliance training course. It's for 15-18 year olds interested in joining the Alliance. Housing and food is provided free of charge to serious participants. In other words, if you still want a part of the program after three weeks, you get a free apartment room and food." Captain Anderson explained.