Freedom's Progress

"Commander Shepard." A man sitting in a chair greeted as Shelby came through on a holo call.

"Illusive Man. I thought we'd be meeting face to face." Shelby stated and crossed her arms over her chest.

"A necessary precaution. Not unusual for people who know what you and I know."

"And what exactly is it that "you and I know"?"

"That our place in the universe is more fragile than we'd like to think." The Illusive Man started and took a puff of the cigarette in his fingers. "That one woman --one very specific woman-- might be all that stands between humanity and the greatest threat of our brief existence."

"The Reapers."

"Good to see your memory is still intact. How are you feeling?" The Illusive Man asked and tapped his cigarette into a tray on the arm of his chair.

"Cut to the chase. What are the Reapers doing that made you decide to bring me back?" Shelby asked and stood up straight again.

The Illusive Man stood up, stepping a bit closer to Shelby. "We're at war. Nobody wants to admit it, but humanity is under attack. While you've been sleeping, entire colonies have been disappearing. Human colonies. We believe it's someone working for the Reapers. Just as Saren and the Geth aided Sovereign. You've seen it yourself. You bested all of them. That's just one reason we chose you."

"Fighting a war doesn't seem like Cerberus." Shelby started, shifting her weight and a resting a hand on hip. "Why are you involved?"

"We are committed to the advancement and preservation of humanity. If the Reapers are targeting us, trying to wipe us out, Cerberus will stop them. If we wait for politicians, or the Alliance to act, no more human colonies will be left." The Illusive Man responded, swiping his hand through the air vertically at his hip to add emphasis to "no more".

Shelby raised an eyebrow. "Sovereign was trying to harvest all life in the galaxy. Why would the Reapers target a few human colonies?"

"Hundreds of thousands of colonists have vanished. I'd say that fits the definition of harvesting. Nobody's paying attention because it's random, and the attacks occur in remote locations. I don't know why they've suddenly targeted humanity. Maybe you got their attention when you killed one of them."

"You know, you could have raised an entire army for what you spent to bring me back..."

"You're unique. Not just in ability, or what you've experienced, but in what you represent. You're more than  a soldier...you're a symbol. I don't know if the Reapers understand fear, but you killed one. They have to respect that."

"If what you say is true... if the Reapers are behind this... I'd consider helping you."

"I'd be disappointed if you accepted any of this without seeing it for yourself." The Illusive Man started and turned away from Shelby. "I have a shuttle ready to take you to Freedom's Progress, the latest colony to be abducted. Miranda and Jacob will brief you." He finished and sat back in his chair.

Shelby crossed her arms. "Miranda killed Wilson in cold blood. Jacob's just a gun for hire. You expect me to trust them?" She asked and shrugged her shoulders.

The Illusive Man rubbed one of his temples. "Wilson was one of my best agents. But he was a traitor. Miranda did exactly what I expected of her. And she saved your life in more ways than one." He continued and tapped his cigarette into the tray. "Jacob's a soldier, one of the best. He's never fully trusted me, but he's always been honest about it. You'll be just fine with them...for now." He finished and took a puff.