The SR2

"Shepard. Good work on Freedom's Progress. The Quarians forwarded their findings from Veetor's debriefing. No new data, but it's a surprising olive branch, given our history. You and I have different methods, but I can't argue with your results."

"You ever think about playing nice once in a while?"

"Diplomacy is great when it works, but difficult when everyone already perceives you as a threat. But more importantly, you confirmed the Collectors are behind the abductions."

"Why do I get the feeling that you knew about them already?"

"I had my suspicions, but I needed proof. The Collectors are enigmatic at best. They periodically travel to the Terminus systems, looking to gather seemingly unimportant items or specimens. Usually in exchange for their technology. When their transactions are complete, they disappear as quickly as they arrived, back beyond the unmapped Omega 4 relay. Until now, we've had no evidence of direct aggression by the Collectors."

"You're holding something back. How do you know the Reapers are involved?"

"The patterns are there buried in the data. The Council and the Alliance want to believe the Reaper threat died with Sovereign. You and I know better. I won't wait until the Reapers are on the march. We need to take the fight to them."

"If this is a war, I'll need an army. Or a really good team."

"I've already compiled a list of soldiers, scientists, and mercenaries. You'll get dossiers on the best of them. Finding them and convincing them to work with you could be challenging, but you're a natural leader. I'll continue to track the Collectors. When they make their next appearance, I'll notify you and your team. Be ready."

"You worry about the Collectors, I'll make sure my team's ready." Shelby confirmed.

The Illusive Man took a big puff of his cigarette. "Good. Two things before you go: First, head to Omega and find Mordin Solus. He's a brilliant Salarian scientist. Our intelligence suggests he may know how to counteract the Collectors' paralyzing seeker swarms."

"Sounds good. What else?”

"I've found a pilot I think you might like. I hear he's one of the best. Someone you can trust." The Illusive Man stated and ended the call, Shelby hearing staggered footsteps behind her as the holo screen fell.

"Hey Commander. Just like old times, huh?"

"Joker! I'd hug you, but I don't want to break you." Shelby greeted him with a smile.

"It'd be worth it." Joker stated with his own smile and held his arms out for Shelby.

Shelby carefully wrapped her arms around her favorite pilot, Joker doing the same for a moment before they headed back up the stairs.

"I can't believe it's you, Joker."

"Look who's talking. I saw you get spaced."

"I got lucky. With a lot of strings attached. How'd you end up here?"

"It all fell apart without you, Shelby. Everything you stirred up, the Council just wanted it gone. The team was broken up, records sealed, and I was grounded. The Alliance took away the only thing that mattered to me. Hell yeah, I joined Cerberus."

"You really trust the Illusive Man?"

"Well, I don't trust anyone that makes more than I do. But they aren't all bad. Saved your life. Let me fly-- and there's this." Joker started as they stopped in front of a big window that was dark on the other side. "They only told me last night." Joker stated and on que, the room lit up one light after another, revealing an almost exact recreation of the Normandy with "SR2" painted on the nose, middle body, and wings of the ship.

Shelby smiled as she let out a breath she didn't she was holding. "I'll be damned."

"It's good to be home, huh Commander?" Joker asked with a little smile.

Shelby put her hands on her hips as she looked over the SR2. "I guess we'll have to give her a name." She stated and Joker nodded in agreement.

In just an hour, the ship building crew had the name on in the black stripe running down the body of the new Normandy. Shelby changed into a casual outfit before she finally stepped onto the new ship with Joker, Miranda and Jacob following her as Joker went to his spot in the cockpit.

Shelby walked down a short flight of stairs, immediately noticing that while the layout and set up were the same, the CIC was also very updated and modern in style.

"Welcome aboard the new Normandy, Commander." Jacob stated as Shelby looked over the CIC.

"I've been looking over the dossiers." Miranda started, Shelby turning around to look at her. "I'd strongly recommend starting by acquiring Mordin Solus, the Salarian professor on Omega. We know the Collectors use some kind of advanced technology to immobilize their victims. We'll need him to develop a countermeasure to protect us."

"Without that countermeasure, we'll be helpless if we ever run into the Collectors." Shelby agreed.

"Acquiring Professor Solus seems like the most logical place to start." Shelby heard a female robotic voice from the ship's intercom, causing Shelby to look around for the source.

"Who are you?" Shelby asked as she couldn't find anything.

Shelby herd a technical sound from behind her, and turned around to be greeted by a blue orb projected from the galaxy map table.

"I am the Normandy's artificial intelligence. The crew like to refer to me as EDI." The AI introduced herself.

Shelby crossed her arms as she shifted her weight. "Helmsmen aren't happy when someone takes away control of a ship away from them. Especially Joker."

"I do not helm the ship. Mr. Moreau's talents will not go to waste. During combat,  I operate the electronic warfare and cyber warfare suites. Beyond that, I cannot interface with the ship's systems. I observe, and offer analysis and advice. Nothing more." EDI explained and her hologram disappeared.

Shelby turned back to Jacob and Miranda. "I assume it takes more than just the three of us and Joker to fly this ship."

"The Normandy has a full crew. They're at their stations awaiting your orders." Miranda confirmed.

"Final preparations for takeoff are complete, Commander. When you're ready to go, just pick a destination from the galaxy map in the CIC, and I'll plot a course." Joker updated over the comm.

"Jacob and I should return to our posts. Come find us if you have any questions."Miranda stated before she and Jacob went on their ways to their posts, Shelby following them most of the way to get to the galaxy map.

Shelby almost went up the few stairs when she saw a female red head with a bob cut stationed just to the side of the galaxy map. Shelby opted to introduce herself first, the woman turning around to face Shelby as soon as she stood behind her.

"Welcome aboard, Commander." She greeted Shelby. "I'm Yeoman Kelly Chambers." She started and saluted. "I've been assigned as your administrative assistant." Kelly updated and let her hand down. "I'll manage your messages and help you monitor the crew. And I must say: it's such an honor to work under you, Commander Shepard."

"I'm glad to have you on the team, Ms. Chambers." Shelby said with a nod.

"Please, call me Kelly." She requested.

"Okay, Kelly." Shelby complied.

"Is there anything else, Commander?"

"That'll be all."

"I'll be here if you need anything." Kelly said and returned to working at her computer, Shelby going up to the Galaxy map and selecting the coordinates for Omega before heading up to the bridge to catch up with Joker.