Robbery and Romance

Shelby walked onto the Normandy, down the stairs, and over to her gear locker. She started trying to organize her equipment in an attempt to distract herself, but it was no use. She thudded the locker shut and sank to the ground with her back propped against the locker as Kaidan walked up and stood next to her.

"Commander, are you alright?" He asked. "I'm sure there's a way to appeal. We're under Alliance authority after all, not the Council." He tried to cheer her up.

"Official channels are closed. They were quite clear about that." Shelby stated as she proped her forearm on a raised knee.

"Closed. And we're supposed to just accept that? So where do you think the best view will be when the Reapers roll through? If we have to sit it out, might as well get a good seat." Kaidan sarcasticlly mocked the Council's decision.

"We're out of the game for now. I need you to be there while I figure things out." Shelby tried to rein him back in.

"You know you can count on me or any of the crew, Commander." He confirmed.

Shelby's knee slid down, letting her arm flop into her lap. "Come on, Kaidan." Shelby started with a little sigh. "I can get a "yes ma'am" from anyone on this ship. Sometimes I need a shoulder." She explained.

"Yeah, you know I always leave a way out. I'm here for you, but we're in a rough spot, and the last thing I want to do is muddy things. Like it's all that clear to start with... Are we the pride of the fleet or not? Are we valued agents or just peons?"

Shelby scoffed with a small smile. "Can't just pull out a good old-fashioned "it'll be all right" can you?" She teased him.

"It's that easy, huh? Okay then. It'll be okay, Shepard. Everything will work out."

Shelby's expression scrunched into a pout.

"What?" Kaidan asked with a chuckle.

"You're too formal for your own damn good, Alenko." She teased him, making Kaidan chuckle again.

"Everything will be fine, Shel. You'll figure it out." He corrected himself again.

"That wasn't so hard now was it?"

"I can get used to it. I guess we have some down time to figure us out now, don't we?" Kaidan pointed out and offered Shelby his hand.

"Yeah, we do." She said as she took his hand.

Kaidan pulled her up a little too hard, pulling Shelby all the way to his chest, forcing her to wrap her free arm around his shoulders for balance. Kaidan habitually caught her with his arm around her back, both of them just staring into the other's eyes for a moment as they found themselves getting closer. Their lips almost met when Joker chimed in over the com, forcing them to separate.

"Sorry to interrupt, Commander. Got a message from Captain Anderson." Joker updated as Shelby and Kaidan took a step back.

Shelby rubbed her hand on the back of her neck. "Are you spying on us, Joker?"

"No, ma'am. Just knew you were on the ship, and thought I should pass the message on. The captain said to meet him at Flux. That club down on the wards."

"Well, I guess you better go then." Kaidan stated.

Shelby's posture slouched as she crossed her arms over her chest, her expression pouting. Kaidan gently tapped her chin with his forefinger knuckle to get her attention. "I know. Come on." He said and walked with her to Flux.

**
"I'm glad you came, Shepard. I heard what happened." Anderson greeted her as she walked up with Kaidan and Garrus.

"They pulled me off of the mission. Just like when they forced you to give up the Normandy." Shelby explained as she sat across from Anderson.