Time to Settle In

Start from the beginning

Shelby nodded. "Here it is." She said and brought up her omni-tool to input they key code she was given and walked in, Kaidan right behind her.

Straight ahead, was the kitchen area. It was complete with a fridge, microwave, stove, cabinets, and a square table with four chairs. Directly to the right side of the entry doorway was a half wall showing off the plain, small living room. There was a long window along the left wall in the living room that had a sliding glass door leading to a small balcony outside. On the far wall from the entrance was a wall with three doors. The two side doors each led to a bedroom, and the middle one to a shared bathroom. Shelby and Kaidan decided to check out the bedroom on the right first.

In the bedroom, on the wall opposite of the main doorway, there was a full sized bed with a nightstand on one side and a dresser in the corner not too far from the nightstand. On the left side wall, there was another door leading to the one person bathroom with all of the appliances off towards the right of the room, so it was away from the doors. On the wall opposite from where Shelby and Kaidan walked in, there was another door that led to the other bedroom that was identical to the first one. Shelby and Kaidan briefly walked around the room before going through the door and were back in the little living room.

"This is like my house back on Mindor. Every room is connected in one way or another. It's like a big circle" Shelby said with a half smile as she remembered the familiar bends and paths through her old home. She was glad to be with Kaidan, but she was a bit home sick now.

Kaidan wrapped an arm around her shoulders. "It'll be ok Shelby. You'll settle in well here, I know you will." He said and gave her a squeeze.

Shelby looked up at Kaidan. "I know. I'll be okay eventually. It just makes me a bit homesick."

"I know it can't be easy. Just up and leaving like that, not knowing when you'll be back. It's tough, but so are you. I know you'll do well here. Besides, I'm always going to be here to bug you until you smile." Kaidan encouraged, then joked with Shelby.

Shelby smiled at him with a little chuckle. "I know you will be."

"Wow! I've gotten a lot of genuine smiles out of you in these two days!" Kaidan said teasingly. Shelby rolled her eyes in amusemrnt and gave Kaidan a sideways smirk as she lightly bumped his shoulder with hers.

"We should go celebrate!" Kaidan said happily and pulled Shelby towards the door.

"Where are we going, Kaidan?" She asked curiously.

"That's for me to know, and you to find out." He said looking back at her with a smile as they started on their way.

"Kaidan, just tell me where we're going. I'm not dressed to go out." Shelby sarcastically whined with a chuckle.

"You look fine!" He assured her.

"I've been in the same grimy clothes for three days!" She pointed out.

Kaidan stopped and faced her. "I thought you washed them on the ship before you showered?"

"A sink bath with hand soap does NOT count." Shelby pointed out with a chuckle.

"Okay, fine. I guess we'll go get you some clothes first." He caved.

"Thank you." Shelby said and Kaidan led her in a different direction to get her some new clothes.

****

When Shelby was finally ready to go out, Kaidan resumed pulling her all over the Citadel for almost an hour just to make sure she didn't know where they were going.

"Come on Shelby, we're almost there." Kaidan said persuasively.

"Last time you said that, you took me to the financial district and tried convince me that it's great celebration spot." Shelby said and raised an eyebrow at him.

"Yeah, well I'm serious this time." Kaidan replied.

"Last time you said THAT, You took me to Chora's Den and - I don't even want to say what you tried to get me to do there, you ass."

"Ok, fine that WAS really rude for a joke." Kaidan said apologetically. "But I'm seriously serious this time. Ever heard of three times a charm?" He said with a smile.

"Have you ever heard of the boy who cried wolf?" She pointed out with a small smile of amusement.

"Okay, fair point. Last stop this time, honestly."

Shelby continued to follow behind Kaidan with a little smile. Kaidan led Shelby all the way back over to the doors of the Flux bar and Shelby pulled him back.

"Really Kaidan, a bar? I'm only 16." Shelby asked.

"What?...I have no-alcohol intensions here. Don't worry, I thought about that. This is family friendly bar, they even have a drink limit to deter drunkards." Kaidan explained. "Come on. Let's go." He requested as he led Shelby through the door.

Shelby and Kaidan had sat at the bar talking for about half an hour when Kaidan got up and went to Shelby's other side he gently took Shelby's hand as he spoke.

"Come on Shelby, will you go dance with me?" He asked as he moved a couple steps towards the dance floor, gently pulling Shelby's arm with him.

"I can't dance. I...I don't dance." Shelby said turning her head away a bit.

Kaidan went back over to her and put a hand on her shoulder. "Hey, it's ok. Come on, for me?" Kaidan asked.

Shelby sighed a bit with a smile. "Alright, Kaidan." She said and stood up with Kaidan. He stuck out his hand, subtly asking for Shelby's. She smiled as she took his hand and they walked to the dance floor together.

"I can't believe you actually got me to come up here." Shelby said with a little smile when they reached the stairs.

As if it was supposed to happen, the music slowed down. Shelby and Kaidan looked at each other. Kaidan smiled as Shelby gave him an "of course" look.

"Come on Shelbs, don't tell me that you've never slow danced." Kaidan said jokingly.

Shelby raised an eyebrow at him. "Just because I've never done it, doesn't mean that I don't know how to."

"Oh really?" Kaidan said and moved his face a little closer to Shelby's. "Prove it then." He said.

"Fine." She said and took Kaidan's arms. She put them around her waist, then put her hands around his neck. " Now, we just sway around." She said looking at him.

"And I thought you said you couldn't dance." Kaidan said with a smirk.

"I can't." Shelby smiled back, looking at Kaidan. "Slow dance is as basic as it gets. Anyone can put their arms around their dance partner and sway around."

"Well, I think I know something that not everyone can do." Kaidan said, his heart beating in his ears.

Shelby tilted her head slightly and gave Kaidan a confused look. Kaidan bent down to Shelby's cheek and kissed her cheek. Shelby's jaw went slack and eyes widened for a moment before she laid her head on Kaidan's chest to hide her increasingly redening cheeks.