Chapter 39

Crispin Therapy...

Let's just say that as far as Saturday mornings went, this particular one was by far, Becky's favourite. Something was definitely different in the air. Everyone around the House of Goths was in a very good mood. Whether it be the proximity of Christmas break, or perhaps they'd all gotten weary of being cold and detached with each other, Becky couldn't quite say. Simply glad to be in their midst again, was good enough for her. Having made her peace with Dorian the other day and of course Kelley last night, she was practically flitting around the house.

If only she could say the same for Crispin. While he half-smiled at her as she and Dorian decorated the tree, his smile didn't quite reach his dove grey eyes.

For the most part, Becky had gotten over her self-conscious feelings concerning the guys. She'd pretty much convinced herself that she'd overreacted and that she had listened to way too much unsolicited advice from Gracie. She didn't believe Gracie had purposely set out to mess with her head, though. In a way, Becky felt sorry for Gracie. But not quite as sorry as she felt for Crispin.

"Wow, that's a beautiful job of decorating that little tree, you two," Kelley said, sitting back in his chair, sipping coffee while Becky and Dorian proudly presented their work.

"Yes, smashing..." Crispin added with lacklustre enthusiasm.

"There, that's me done," Dorian said, dusting himself off of stray strings of tinsel as he stood up and stretched.

"Where you off to?" Becky teased knowingly.

"I've a lunch date, not that it's any of your business," Dorian said, playfully ruffling Becky's hair.

"Oh? With a particular girl in a Santa hat?" she teased him.

"Perhaps." He winked, turned and left the room.

"Well, I suppose I should get some errands done," Kelley said, standing up out of his chair.

"Let me get changed and I'll come with you," Becky offered, wanting to spend some more alone time with Kelley. She still couldn't get over what had happened last night and what almost happened this morning before breakfast.

"Actually, love, I'd rather just run out and take care of things right quick on my own. If you don't mind," Kelley said, effectively shutting her down.

"Oh..." Try as she might, she couldn't help but be hurt by his sudden need to be on his own. What was it that he had to do? Why did he have to go alone? Why couldn't she just come with him? Why was he always running off by himself?

Glancing at Crispin with an oddly conspiring expression, Kelley started to leave the room. He didn't make it three steps without Becky catching up to him, literally crashing into his back when he made a sudden stop to check his pockets for his wallet and car keys. "Hey, oops watch yourself," he said, catching her.

Having bounced off his back like a lovestruck ninny, Becky could only rub her slightly injured nose. "Where... I mean, why can't I come with you?" she asked with a slight hitch to her voice. Somehow, she'd gotten it into her head that they'd be spending the day together, especially after last night.

"Becky..." Seeing the doubt in her eyes nearly broke his resolve. Yet there was something he needed to do that he couldn't put off another day. Something he had to take care of himself. Besides, it was a good day for her to spend some time with Crispin. She'd made her peace with Dorian and that was great. But Crispin needed special attention of which only Becky could give him, especially now, following his ugly breakup with Gracie. The inconsolable Goth was not doing well at all, despite his stoic protests to the contrary.