Chapter 11

They arrived at the hotel minutes later and parked in the underground lot. Taking her box of tissues with her, she waited while Kelley took her suitcase out from the trunk. "I'll come back later for the rest," he said, encouraging her towards the elevator. "We'll have to get you something smaller than this big old trunk."

"I suppose you're right," she said absently. "Although, I probably won't be doing much travelling now."

Even under the dour circumstances of her ordeal, Becky couldn't help be impressed with the stylish hotel lobby. If she were to admit it, she'd been a little worried about the kind of hotel that the boys would find at the last minute.

Making their way swiftly through the busy reception area, they eventually found the pub where they were to meet their housemates. In a way, she was both dreading and looking forward to seeing them. She hated the idea of having to tell them of her granny's passing. She was afraid she would lose her composure all over again.

"Just so you know, I forewarned the guys of the circumstances. I hope you don't mind," Kell said as if reading her thoughts.

"Thanks, Kelley," she said with a sigh of relief. It would be better than to have to tell them in person.

Of course, all hope of holding it together was dashed right from the moment she spotted the two Goths sitting in the far booth. They'd been talking animatedly to each other until they turned and saw her and Kell approach. Dorian stood up first and then so did Crispin. With one look at the pity on their faces, Becky started to cry. Oddly enough, it was Crispin who came to her first, placing his hands on her shoulders, before pulling her in for a much-needed hug. Then Dorian's hand was on her head, he was gently stroking her hair.

They were causing a bit of a scene, Kelley noticed the questioning looks from the few patrons around the low-lit pub. That in itself wouldn't have bothered him in the past, but today, under the circumstances, it did.

"Come on, let's sit down." He encouraged everyone back into the confines of the booth.

"Poor little dormouse, I'm so sorry." Crispin placed a kiss on top of Becky's head. "Here, slide on in." The suddenly sensitive Goth helped her off with her coat and hung it up on the peg beside his. Without hesitation, he then climbed in beside her and put his arm around her shoulders.

Seeing Becky in good company, Kell sighed with relief. He hadn't realized how long he'd been holding his breath until that very moment.

Recognizing the look on his housemate's face for what it was, Dorian leaned over and placed a supportive hand on his shoulder.

"You all right, mate? You look a tad pale, even for yourself," he said with a half smile.

Kell only stared at him blankly for a moment before coming to his senses. He had to get out of there. If only for a while.

"I'm fine... Um, perhaps you and I should go get our things from the car and take them upstairs."

"Good idea, mate. There's something we need to discuss along the way," Dorian said, glancing nervously from Kell to Becky, and Crispin.

"You'll be all right here, just the two of you?" Kell asked with concern. As much as he wanted to get some air, he would hate to leave her if she wasn't so inclined to stay behind with Crispin.

"Of course," Crispin said with an air of indignation. "Go on, we'll wait for you right here." He waved Kell and Dorian away. Then as if no one else existed, Crispin spoke softly so that only she could hear him.

"You'll be safe with me, sweetheart." He paused to stroke her hair. "Perhaps, Miss Becky would like something to eat? Hmm?"

She nodded, realizing that she hadn't had anything to eat since they stopped along the highway, and that was hours ago.

"Maybe a wee bit of cheese for our little dormouse," he teased lightheartedly.

Seeing her smile, set Kell's mind at ease. He turned and followed Dorian out of the pub, taking Becky's suitcase with him.

***

"Hold on a second, Kell," Dorian said before they reached the elevator.

"What's up, man?"

"It's about the room."

"You mean rooms?" Kell corrected.

"Actually, we only got the one room," Dorian said, looking very concerned.

"What?" Kell scoffed.

"Yeah, and we were lucky to get it. Hey, don't look at me like that. Crisp and I hit, at least, a dozen hotels before this one and they were all booked up. Apparently, there's some conference going on all weekend long. Trust me, this is the best we could do. At least, we have two double beds."

"That's just fucking great!" Kell grumbled in frustration.

"Come on, we'll make it work."

"Aw... fuck, I don't know," Kell said, dragging his hands down his face.

"We haven't much choice, have we?" Dorian said, pushing the elevator button. "Let's just go get our things and get settled."

"Right..." Kell said, following him into the elevator.

After taking their bags to their room, Kell couldn't think straight anymore. He was overwhelmed. He was worried about Becky, and how she would feel about sharing a room with all three of them. He was concerned about having to deal with the funeral tomorrow. The stress of it all was getting to him and if he didn't get away soon, he might just lose it.

"Go on, get out of here for a while," Dorian said, seeing the hesitation on Kell's face when they returned to the lobby. "Take a walk, clear your head."

"I can't just leave," he agonized, so obviously torn, looking longingly at the revolving doors of the hotel. Just the other side was the freedom he so desperately needed. But could he do it? Could he walk away? If only for a little while...

"Sure you can. For a little while. Seriously, man, you look like you need it. Surely, there's somewhere you'd like to go," Dorian said knowingly. It couldn't be easy for Kell to have to deal with this. He was well acquainted with Kell's past experience with the horrific deaths of his entire family. How he'd kept it together thus far surprised him. "She'll be fine. We'll look after her."

With a final glance at the pub entrance, Kell nodded and bolted for the street.

To be continued...

****

House of Goths

Copyright © 2014 by Maria Bernard ISBN: 978-0-9938067-3-5

****