Chapter 1

Copyright © 2015 by Sandra Corton

ISBN: 978-0-6480239-4-4

All rights reserved.

Published by Sandra Corton

No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording or by any information storage and retrieval systems, without permission in writing from the copyright owner.

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents either are the product of the author's imagination or used fictitiously, and any resemblance to any actual persons, living or dead, events, or locales is entirely coincidental.

I thought I should probably explain and for the first time include a picture for you

I thought I should probably explain and for the first time include a picture for you. This is Toowoon Bay on the Central Coast of New South Wales, Australia, where my story is based. This is one of my most favourite places. I know it doesn't look very fancy but just walking on this beach inspires me even today. I spent from my late teens to my mid twenties living a ten minute walk to this beach and have fond memories of swimming and walking creating stories in my mind. None of my characters are based on anyone I know, but they are quickly becoming some of my favourites

I do hope you enjoy this new story of mine because I know I'm going to enjoy writing about this special place.

##################################

Chapter 1

Aurora Matthews felt fury bubbling through her, as she stormed from the ice cream store. She tossed her apron at the losers that had just managed to get her fired from her summer job. She wished for something heavier to throw at that dingbat Foster's head.

"Good going, Nerd Bird." She heard Foster snicker, and his friend's laughed wholeheartedly.

She winced inwardly, hoping that it didn't show. She hated the nickname they had branded her with, since she had beat Foster at a spelling bee in year four. She was good in school, but why did that only make them more judgemental? In fact, she thoroughly loved school, even the homework. It was all a challenge that she took in her stride.

The only problem became the label that attached to her. It stamped a brand on her head that she could never escape. Foster and his idiot friends were the only thing she despised about having to attend school.

The brand new year wasn't exactly starting the way she wanted. It was no wonder that she didn't believe in New Year resolutions when you were always disappointed. She had decided to find a part time job so that she could afford a car for her last year of school. Now that certainly wasn't going to happen.

Thinking those dumb morons might finally appreciate her smarts had always been a long shot. She had hoped that Foster's brain might have matured as much as his body. She let out a wry laugh, as she realised that that was never going to happen.