Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Aurora stared at her phone, feeling guilty that she hadn't answered Trey's text. She considered turning her phone back on, but the malevolent look on Roth's face played across her mind, and she placed the phone back down.

Luckily, she was expecting Suli to Skype with her in a few minutes, so she could spill out her problems to her best friend. She felt excited for the first time since Roth's dreadful visit.

"Honey, are you home?" Judy called out.

"Upstairs, Mum." Aurora replied.

"How was bowling?" Don asked grumpily, and she heard her mum laugh.

"We had a great time, thanks, Dad," Aurora rushed down to greet her parents. "Listen, Suli's going to Skype with me, so I'm going to be busy for a while."

"Alright, love, I'll get dinner started." Judy waved her off, and Aurora took the opportunity to head quickly back up to her room.

She grabbed her laptop and turned it on. It felt like forever since she had talked to her best friend. It helped to ease her fury from earlier, as she set everything up.

"Hey!" Aurora called out the moment her friend appeared on the screen. "You've cut your hair." She blurted out enthusiastically.

"Hey Rory," Suli grinned at her friend, as she swung her straight black hair around. "Yeah, I couldn't stand trying to grow it anymore. This is much easier to handle."

Aurora looked at her friend and raised her brows. Suli's waist length hair had always left her feeling envious. It took her forever to grow her curly hair, so she had decided to keep it shorter years ago.

Looking at Suli's now shoulder length, shiny hair, still invoked envy. Suli had always been the most fashionable out of them. She could dress her trim frame in almost anything and look perfect with her hair only adding to her perfection.

"You're looking surprisingly fashion forward today." Suli mused, disrupting Aurora's train of thought.

"Oh, these are Kiri's, I just borrowed them to go bowling today." Aurora plucked at the shirt, but Suli's dark brown eyes widened with anticipation.

"What happened to work? Let alone who did you go bowling with?" Suli's excitement felt infectious and Aurora grinned.

She had to explain everything that had happened. Suli swore loudly when she heard about Roth managing to get her fired. Admitting that she had met a boy became a lot harder than Aurora had thought it would be. Suli had already had a few boyfriends, but always felt ready for any boy talk that she could get.

"Rory! Tell me the rest of the story." Suli complained.

"I might have, ugh, met a boy." Aurora admitted reluctantly, making her friend squeal with delight.

"Oh, my God, tell me more." Suli's pretty face squished into a demanding expression, as she crossed her arms and Aurora laughed.

"Will you take a chill pill? I'll tell you already."

"Good, I'm going to have to live vicariously through your boy moments, as I'm yet to find a good one here." Suli huffed, as she waved a hand at her friend to continue.

Aurora told her everything about meeting him yesterday and on the beach this morning, including Roth's involvement. When she mentioned meeting his friends and going bowling, Suli jumped around enthusiastically.

"When are you seeing him again?" Suli's thrilled grin had her smiling.

"Um, I don't really know." Aurora didn't want to tell her about Roth threatening to destroy her senior year.