Chapter 8

Mintfeather gazed sorrowfully at towards the center of camp, were the limp, cold bodies of Bumblestripe and Seedfrost lay. Dovewing, Lilyshade, Sorreltail, Brakenfur, and Blossomfall were sitting vigil for the cats who were brutally murder by the same cat that had killed Mousewhisker. The confusing part was that this time there was no ShadowClan scent by the body, or anywhere in the territory. Again, it was obvious it was a cat that had killed them, and the only scent that was on them was the scent of death, and Hollystrike's scent, since she was the one that had found them. She looked up, and saw Lionblaze padding up to her.

    "She just found out that she's expecting Bumblestripe's kits." Lionblaze mewed.

    "Poor Dovewing, the kits won't ever get to know their father."

    "Do you want to go join Brightheart's hunting patrol?" Mintfeather nodded, and padded over to Toadstep, Amberbreeze, and Brightheart.

    "Are we ready?" Brightheart asked, turning towards to entrance not waiting for an answer. Mintfeather followed with Toadstep and Amberbreeze close behind her. The forest was blanketed in white, and the air was considerably colder than it was a few sunrises ago. It was going to be hard to much prey, now that leafbare was here.

    "Let's hunt over by the ShadowClan border," Brightheart suggested. "We might find some clues on Bumblestripe and Seedfrost's deaths." The patrol made their way to the ShadowClan border, sinking into the snow with each step. They had hardly gotten halfway there when Toadstep suddenly stopped.

"What is it?" Mintfeather asked.

"RiverClan!" Amberbreeze growled as an orange tabby tom emerged from the brambles in front of them.

"Wildfire!" Mintfeather mewed in surprise. "What are you doing here?"

"Yeah, What are you doing here, on ThunderClan territory?" Brightheart growled menacingly.

"I need to talk to Bramblestar. Please, it's very important." Wildfire begged. Brightheart narrowed her eyes, then scented the air, making sure that there wasn't any other RiverClan cats nearby.

"Okay, we'll take you to Bramblestar. But this had better be important." Brightheart threatened.

The trip back was silent, but tensions were high. When they got back to camp, Wildfire glanced around the camp, seeming to be looking for someone. Not many cats were left in camp. most were out hunting and patrolling, and the cats that had sat vigil for Bumblestripe and Seedfrost must have been out sending them on their way to StarClan. Bramblestar appeared in the camp entrance behind them. Brightheart was about to speak, when Wildfire stepped forward.

"Bramblestar, I need to talk to you." Wildfire spoke after he bowed her head respectfully.

"Very well. Follow me to my den where we can talk in private. Brightheart, can you send Squirrelflight and watch the kits while we're talking?" Bramblestar asked.

"Of course." Brightheart replied, before turning and heading for the nursery. Bramblestar nodded to Mintfeather, Toadstep, and Amberbreeze, then disappeared with Wildfire into his den.