Chapter 2

Darkness surrounded Owlpaw as he crossed the tree bridge to get to the island. He knew Wildpaw, an energetic Riverclan apprentice would be waiting there for him. He meet Wildpaw for the first time at Owlpaw's first gathering, and they have become good friends and have been meeting at the island in secret. Sliverpelt shone brightly above him, and the moon was almost full. Their would be a gathering in a few sunrises.

"What took you so long, Owlpaw?" Wildpaw called out to him as he jumped down to the bank. He walked over to him and answered.

"I had trouble sneaking out."

Wildpaw's eyes gleamed and he started bouncing around excitedly. "Guess What?"

Before Owlpaw even had a chance to think about it, Wildpaw answered his own question "I got my warrior name!" He exclaimed.

"That's great Wildpaw! Wait, what's your name?" He inquired, looking at Wildpaw with curiosity.

"My name is Wildfire. And my sister got Spottedfire."

"That name fits you well. You're always so energetic, and you fur is orange, almost like fire." He said, gazing into his golden colored eyes.

"Thanks Owlpaw."

Owlpaw followed Wildfire to the clearing, and they climbed the Great Oak and sat were the leaders sit during gatherings.

"Hey Owlpaw?" He said after a while in a quiet voice. "There's something I need to tell you, but before I do, can you promise me that we will always be friends?"

When He said this, Owlpaw immediately got nervous. What if He never wanted to see him again? But that wouldn't explain why he still wanted to be friends.  Owlpaw took a deep breath, and answered him.

"We will always be friends, Wildfire. Nothing can change that." Wildfire nodded, then spoke.

"I really like you Owlpaw. It's okay if you don't feel the same way, I'd understand."

Owlpaw was shocked by this, but his heart quickened as he realized that he felt the same. He really did like Wildfire, and he loved spending time with him at the island at night. But they couldn't be together. The warrior code forbids anyone having a mate with someone in another clan. They were already stretching the code by meeting secretly at the island every night, even if they were just meeting as friends.

Owlpaw looked into his eyes. No one can argue with how beautiful they are. The golden amber color shined in the moonlight, and Owlpaw couldn't look away. "I feel the same, Wildfire. I really like you too. As more than friends." He looked solemnly at the ground. "But we can't be mates. It would ruin both us. You're in RiverClan, and I'm in ThunderClan. I've heard stories of Graystripe and Silverstream, and I couldn't stand it if that happened to us."

"Yeah, I know." He whispered. "But that doesn't mean we can't still be friends. And we will still be able to see each other at gatherings." Wildfire said hopefully.

"Of course Wildfire, I wouldn't think of not being friends with you, but thats all we can be." Owlpaw licked his ears softly, comforting him, and letting him know that he would never leave him. He gazed into his eyes while he did the same. "I'll see you at the gathering, we should get back to our clans before their notice we're gone."

"Yeah, your right. I'll see you at the gathering, Owlpaw."

"Bye Wildfire." He said as he jumped down from the tree, and disappeared from the clearing.