Chapter Three

~Kevin~

I woke up an hour earlier the next morning. I was lying in bed thinking about yesterday's events. I still found it pretty hard to believe that Tommy would shut me out like that. We've been best friends since I could remember; I didn't understand why he couldn't see my point of view.

My thoughts were interrupted by my mom knocking on my door. "Kevin! Get up. You're going to be late for school."

I looked at my clock on my bedside table. I'd been laying here for an entire hour and I only had thirty minutes to get ready.

"I'm up mom. Give me ten minutes." I grabbed my towel and went to the bathroom.

After my shower I got dressed, had a quick bite to eat and made my way to school. I got there within twenty minutes and regretted it from the moment I walked in. I didn't want to be here. I was getting bad vibes with every step I took. I shrugged it off and continued to walk to class. As I was walking I saw something that I shouldn't have. Tommy was standing a couple of feet away from me and talking to Jenny. The second he saw me, he pulled her close and started kissing her. I felt crushed. I couldn't take it anymore and hurried off.

Except for the picture of Tommy and Jenny glued in my brain, the rest of the day was a blur. Some teachers gave us homework but I didn't pay attention to them. In my mind, I had more important things to worry about. Before I knew it, it was the last period. I had English but lucky for me the teacher was absent. I decided to ditch and drove home. When I got there all the day's events rushed back into my mind. I tried to stop that memory from entering but it was too late. I could just see them kissing and being all cozy with each other. I knew Tommy and Jenny dated about a year ago but they broke up. He always told me that they were better off as friends. I figured this meant that they were back together. Since my mom wasn't home yet, I went downstairs to get started on dinner -spaghetti, our favourite. I smiled to myself. Dinner was done within an hours so I went back upstairs, finished my homework and took an early shower. It was times like these when I'd do anything to stop me from thinking about the things that were bothering me. I felt desperate. I just wanted to let go of these emotions and make all the pain go away. I wanted to forget everything. Without realising it, I drifted off to sleep.

***

~Thomas~

"We shouldn't have done that, Tom." Jenny said angrily. "Just imagine how hurt he must feel right now. I can't believe you put me up to that. And now he probably thinks we're back together. Shit. What am I going to do now? I feel so guilty."

Jenny and I were in the ice-cream parlour and her talking combined with the people surrounding us, I couldn't take it anymore.

"Would you quit babbling for a minute? You're starting to give me a headache." I said rubbing my forehead. "I'm sure he's fine. And I told you my reason for doing that."

"Yea whatever. You don't want to hurt him, blah blah. But don't you think that by doing this you already are? I mean, think about it. I just hope you come to your senses and realise what you're doing is completely stupid and immature." She picked up her stuff and left.

I stormed out of the ice-cream shop and got into my car. I didn't really know where I was going but I kept on driving. I ended up in front of Kevin's house. What was I doing here? I felt like I needed to speak to him and apologise, but I thought against my better judgement and sped off.

It was about an hour later and here I was, sitting alone in my house watching stupid movies. I didn't know the name of the current movie, I wasn't paying attention. All I saw were pictures moving and hearing faint sounds in the distance but not taking any of them in. I didn't know why I was feeling this way. Yes, I felt bad but I thought I was doing the right thing at the time. Now...I didn't know. I felt confused. A sudden feeling of sadness and guilt overcame me and I got up and went to the bathroom. I splashed some water on my face and walked to my room. Being in here without the laughter and without Kev felt lonely. I didn't want things to go on this way, but I also didn't want someone who likes me like that to be around me. Someone I couldn't possibly ever like back. It felt weird. I wrapped my blanket around me and dozed off to sleep.