Hyphen

noun

       • a punctuation mark used to join two syllables or words, or to divide words into parts.

transitive verb

       • to hyphenate. 

Sometimes, Connor thinks he's got Troye fairly figured out. Like when they're tangled in clean bed sheets with a movie streaming on his laptop and Troye's eyes are wide with the anticipation of the film's next big twist or when he comes home to socked feet on his glass coffee table and Troye's brows furrowed in deep concentration on whatever humorously awful magazine he's perusing through. Like when he's making them both breakfast before he has to leave for class and Troye's arms slip tiredly around his waist, when he's making himself coffee after he's returned from class and Troye's key clicks routinely into the door or when he says, "My friends want to see you again," and Troye says, "Oh, yeah sure," but really means 'Once was more than enough'.

Sometimes, Connor thinks he has absolutely no idea what kinds of wheels Troye's got turning in his head, if they're even wheels at all. Like when Troye tells him his apartment is warm and his bed is soft and Connor feels like he's saying something else entirely, though he can't for the life of him figure out what, or when their kisses are longer, deeper, and Troye never says stop and neither does Connor but somehow it always ends with a strange look on Troye's face and a strange feeling in Connor's chest and a strange notion that neither knows who pulled away first. Like when Connor briefly mentions this supposed acquaintance at the park and Troye immediately clamps up, reverting right back to the defense mechanisms he had when they first met, when Connor briefly mentions their real first kiss and Troye gives him this entirely unreadable look, like he wants to tell him everything and he wants to tell him nothing and in the end he settles for a peck on the cheek and a shrug.

Sometimes, Connor thinks they're perfect and they're great and Troye is maybe a little bit unfairly beautiful. Other times, Connor thinks they're good for each other and they're okay and Troye is a little bit of an unfairly beautiful enigma of paradox and perplexion.

Most days, Connor just thinks they work better together than a vast majority of things he's seen, whether he fully understands Troye yet or not.