Ahead

adjective or adverb

       • in or to the front; forward; onward; in advance; winning or profiting.  

Troye gets over it, but he doesn't get over it. More-so, he storms out of Connor's high-end apartment in arguably one of the nicest places in town and arduously manages to resist the urge to vandalize one of their stupid perfect shrubs or stupid pristine windows. His feet slap against the perfectly paved sidewalks like Kongo drums thrumming out a baseline, face twisted permanently into a scowl he can't shake and doesn't really want to.

He goes back to their fountain and tells himself it isn't theirs, it's his. He was there first.

Staring at the frozen water unmoving in its concrete casing, Troye feels the anger flow out of him like the ocean tide. He's over the whole thing with Connor already. It's not like he could've expected for it to turn out any differently, he knew it wouldn't work out from the start.

So Troye gives the fountain one last long look before he scuffs his shoes along the side and turns to go. He'll revert to his old pattern, a new street corner everyday unlike the habit of always coming here he'd fallen into over the past month. He'll curl up at night and fall asleep as slowly as he used to, marginally faster now that he won't have panicked thoughts of Connor flitting through his exhausted brain. He tells himself the pain in his chest is from the chilly afternoon air or something, even manages to convince himself that's the only plausible explanation.

He's over it, but he's not really over it.