Chapter 9

~ Rhys ~

"Rhys," Feyre asks hesitantly. "Can we go flying?" I blink, stunned, before excitement and anticipation run through me. Getting to hold Feyre flying through the sky? A scenario I've dreamed of since I left The Mountain? The only problem is whether I can let her go after I've held her that close.

"Of course, when?" Damn, could she sense my eagerness? I suspected she saw through a lot of my charades. I try to hide it so she can't feel it through our bond.
"Well, after breakfast?" She asks. At the reminder of breakfast, I look down and continue to eat my pancakes. Casual, I tell myself, no big deal, just a little stroll through the skies. With Feyre.

After we finish the pancakes, I quickly pick up the tray and inform Feyre of my return in five minutes. I rush out the room, giving us both time to change out the clothes that we are both wearing from the day before. A smug smile threatens to dance across my lips.

Quickly dressing, I pull on one of my best tunics and a pair of slim pants that are made for combat. Resisting Feyre is fighting a losing battle in my opinion. But, let's be honest, all my clothes are suitable for combat. I retie my boots before running my fingers through my hair to remove the bed head that comes annoyingly easily for me. Then I rush back to her suite.

Thankfully I remember to knock and Feyre calls me in immediately. She is sitting on her bed in a beautiful tunic and pants, just like me. I've filled her wardrobe with a mixture of dresses and pants because I'm pretty impartial- she'll look great in anything. Her tunic fits her like a glove and I use a lot of willpower to focus my eyes on her own, preventing them from straying. Her eyes hold a secret smirk and I feel my cheeks redden. Damn.

I cough, ignoring her acknowledgment of my guilty peek - she's now staring at me in shock.
"Okie dokie," can't believe I just said that, "Well, let's get going." She stands and walks over to me.
"I've always wanted to fly." She tells me, smiling softly.
"Who hasn't, Feyre." I say in a smug tone. Maybe I overdid it a little, her smile drops. My heart lurches, I made her unhappy. I circle her waist with my arms and pull her against my chest.
"You're going to taste the skies; it's the best feeling in the world," Except for her body against mine, I think silently. "I won't let you fall, of course, so don't fear."
"I won't." She whispers against my chest. Then I pull her through the shadows until we're standing upon the precipice of one of the largest cliffs in Night.

The wind blows through her golden brown hair and I feel her shiver against me until her Fae body has adjusted to the chill. Turning herself around in my arms, she faces the emptiness stretching in front of us. The drop is long but the rocks below are smooth and shiny with a mixture of valuable metals due to the river that used to run through here. We have no need to mine them just yet, the Court's riches had been abandoned for all those years Under The Mountain. Feyre takes everything in, her own hands gripping my forearms which I've still not removed from around her waist.

I know that she's expecting me to jump from the edge whilst holding her which is why her shock is so strong when I step back and tell her to jump alone.
"Rhys, I'm not adjusted to my body and even if I was, I doubt I could land well anyway! Do you want me to die?"
"Of course not. You won't. But we aren't flying until you've fallen."
"Why?"
"Because I said so."
"Real mature, Rhys." She's annoyed.
"My wings, my rules." I smile tauntingly. Her eyes soften. Softly she asks,
"Promise you won't let me die?" The idea of her death almost makes me keel over in pain, even though she's right in front of me.
"I promise. Of course. I will never let anything happen to you. Ever." I say, my voice gruff from emotion and my smile gone.

She smiles at me and with no more notice, flings her arms wide open before dramatically falling backwards off the cliff edge. It was a brave move for her to make considering the soul- shattering scream of terror which was then ripped from her throat.

The Prince of Darkness is a gentlemanजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें