20 - The Truth Hurts

Start from the beginning

            He turned his back to me and sulked over to the door. “Family doesn’t lie,” He said in a deadly tone before opening the door and leaving.

            I took a deep breath and wiped away my tears. When I opened my eyes, I saw Lauren staring at me with a heartbroken expression on her face.

            “Lau—“

            “Save it!” She cried. “Remember when we were little and how we made a promise to tell each other everything? I’ve kept that but you obviously haven’t.”

            It’s true. Ever since we became best friends, we had a vow to tell each other everything. She told me everything from why her parents split up—her dad had a mistress—to what happened during her first kiss. I on the other hand, I told her a lot but some things I hadn’t told anyone at all such as the fire, sleeping with Sean, and now this. Obviously she’s a much better best friend than what I turned out to be.

             “I would’ve told you—“

            “But you didn’t, Peyton,” She closed her eyes and ran her fingers through her hair. “Look, I need time to think. Don’t call or text me because I’m not going to answer.”

            As she started walking to the door, I called out to her, “We’re still best friends, right?”

            She stopped in place and a saw a hand go up to her face to wipe away her tears. She’s cried in front of me before but it felt worse to know that I caused this. “I don’t know, Peyton…” She said and left just like Dillon.

            Once they were gone, I fell to the ground and cried. I should’ve told them. Those two are one of the few important people to me in my life and I think I lost both of them just because I’m a fucking idiot. I shouldn’t have ‘gone out’ with Jace. I should’ve just floated through the rest of high school without getting revenge on Sean. Sure I wouldn’t have made him pay for it but things would be much easier and better than they are right now.

            But I didn’t do any of those things and karma is coming around.

            “Peyton?” I looked up to see Jace kneeling next to me with his bad foot out so no weight rested on it. “Look, this will all work out—“

            “No it won’t! I messed up. This shouldn’t have happened like this! Now both Dillon and Lauren hate me just because I’m a idiot who can’t keep her mouth shut.”

            “No one could hate you Peyton—“

            I gave out a heartless laugh, “Really now? Let’s count everyone. Dillon, Lauren, Kayla, my parents…” I looked at him, “You.”

            To my surprise, he wrapped me in his arms and his voice came into my ear. “I couldn’t hate you if you hated me. You’re too… too…”

            “What?”

            “Innocent.”

            “Again with that word!”

            He laughed and I found myself smiling through my tears that we now dripping onto his shirt. “It’s true! Everything you do is so innocent, I was surprised that you even agreed to be in a fake relationship with me.”

            His words brought me back to reality. “I wish I hadn’t…” I whispered. “I regret it ever happening now.”