fourteen • becoming the fun ghoul

Start from the beginning

"No! We lost you once, we aren't losing you again. Do you know how hard it was to readjust?! Do you even know the shit it's done to Kobra and Ven?!" Ghoul shook his head as he pulled the clothes on. "I don't care if you stab me repeatedly as long as we get you home where we can get you help..."

Ray hesitated, then nodded. "Lie still, don't fucking move," he growled and picked Ghoul up to carry him bridal style out from the room. If anything, Ghoul forced himself to go limp and tried to make his breathing less noticeable. Never mind only lying still. He kept his eyes shut, only able to hear voices around them and Ray's shoes as he walked.

"Where ya goin', Ray?" The voice was familiar, but hardly recognizable to Ghoul. He focused, but stopped thinking about it when he realized he was scrunching up his forehead.

"Oh, hey Dallon. Just taking out the trash," Ray said, his voice returning to the slightly monotone way it had been before. There was a shrug, then the two continued on their way. Dallon Weekes. He's alive. Ghoul couldn't get the thoughts from his head. But he's a living BLI employee. "Seriously, he's funny as hell. It's a shame he's part of scarecrow, really."

Ghoul grunted in response, seeing as he could feel the heat of stares from people looking at him. The corridors, however, did get louder as the progressed. More people talking, several more questions for Ray, but none of them seemed to suspect a thing. Though that changed as soon as Ray had stepped foot outside, because the alarms went off and there were several shrieks from inside. And so, Ghoul was set onto the ground and the two took off running.

It would take someone stupid to think that the two weren't enjoying themselves. For the first time in years, Ghoul was not only seeing one of his favorite people but they were running from a Better Living Industries building. And if that doesn't make you feel punk rock, nothing does.

"You're so glad I know this city like the back of my hand now," Ray said as they stopped for Ghoul to catch his breath. Not only were the stitches really starting to hurt, but he was out of breath as well. Because fuck, he needed to run more.

"You...you could say that," Ghoul got out between pants for breath until he nodded. "Okay, I'm good, let's go."

The two started running again until Ray turned Ghoul into an apartment complex. They slowed down their pace until Ray led the both of them up stairs and into a room. "I...I think I can hang on for the night. Let me check the stitches..." Ray gestured for Ghoul to take off the shirt he had only just put on, and he did so with a sigh.

"Were you there when they gave me these...?" Ghoul questioned, yelping as Ray touched one of them with a warm and wet cloth.

"Yes."

"Did you help?"

"...yes."

Ray nonetheless cleaned up the cuts that had started bleeding, making sure the stitches weren't too tight against his skin to the point of pain. Ghoul whimpered several times through the entire thing, crying out once when the stitches that crossed his spine were cleaned. Though the curly haired man left the shorter on the couch to get food, Ghoul hugged his knees to his chest and shut his eyes as he curled into the couch. He had to be careful in the way he positioned himself, but otherwise he was just so tired he couldn't care less.

"Hey. Precious green shooting man. Do you want food or not?"

Ghoul looked up at Ray, taking the offered plate of what could resemble pasta of some sort. Though, who knows, it might not have been real pasta; because who knew what Battery City was feeding it's citizens anymore- he could only hope there wasn't anything with meds. As Ghoul ate quietly in the little ball he was curled up in, he watched Ray peek out the blinded windows.