17. Alexander & Melony

I woke up about 3 hours later and couldn't sleep. I got off the bed and went to the bathroom. I looked in the mirror. I saw my reflection, but I also didn't see it...if that makes sense.

I closed the door and decided to take a shower. I wanted to wash off some of the stress on my body. I turned the hot water tap and stood there and began to recollect my emotions of the night.

I replayed every scene in my head over and over again. How she fell. How she vibrated. How I was losing her. I wish I knew what was wrong but I think the doctor lied. He knew exactly what was wrong but hid it from the rest of us.

He knows something we don't he just does. There is no way Melony would hide anything from me. We've been through way too much. But what if she didn't trust me? What if there is something and she was trying to "protect me"? I don't want to be protected I want to help where I can.

I got out the shower and put a towel around my waist. I looked down and looked at my knee.

At least you've been faithful tonight.

I got out of the bathroom and went over to her wardrobe. I had a secret stash of clothes just in case I stayed the night. I opened the cupboard and grabbed the duffle bag. I opened it and grabbed a shirt and a pair of fresh boxers. I also got the long pyjama bottoms I left as well.

I dressed up and turned towards the bed again. I walked by the bedside and got Amber's earphones. I climbed back into the bed and sat upright.

I watched her sleep. I pulled my phone out and went to my sound cloud. I connected to the WiFi and went to The Neighbourhood's channel.

Your best friend's house, the only place where the WiFi connects automatically.

I listened to Afraid, then to #ICan'tEven.
I'm not ready for anything. The court hearing, my sister or the rest of my life. I don't know what I want to do with my life.

I've already given up on Actuarial Science and being a Computer Scientist. They sound so boring and my grades have proved otherwise. I got the highest in Advanced Math and Computer Science, but my heart isn't for that anymore. I mean they are pretty cool as a hobby but not the rest of my life.

"Dimitri, are you okay?" Whispered Amber sitting up next to me.

"Nah, I'm worried and frustrated," I said facing her.

"It kinda sucks knowing someone you really care about has a life-threatening disease. Especially when they've kept it from you for such a long time," she said with a hint of anger.

What is she talking about?

"How could you understand? I thought all your family was still intact. You know, no one is dying,"

She held my hand and squeezed it. That was my signal that I had to listen to whatever was coming.

"Okay, I'll start. Melony had a heart attack. She also has another complication that they are still trying to figure out. She's in a coma right now. The deepest one they've ever seen. Well, that's what the doctor said."

I looked up trying to fight my tears. I clenched my teeth hard and prayed she wouldn't ask how I was feeling.

"So maybe it's not so different," she said holding my face. She caressed my face slowly until I looked at her.

"What do you mean?" I asked weakly.

"When Alex came, he was planning to come sometime back. It just so happened that we had a fight. Fate is a bitch," she said whimpering.