The Sacrifice

Back at the palace, Rhysand paced the main floor as Feyre sat on one of the many plush seats. She waited for him to say something to her, anything would be better than this silence.

"You remember the creature from the other night?" Rhysand stopped pacing and stood still as he stared at Feyre.

"Of course I remember." Feyre said.

How could she forget? The creature, pushing her against the tree. The creature and it's hot, stale breath on her neck.

"I don't have any other options," he mumbled to himself and his gaze drifted down to the polished tile floor. 

He breathed in deeply and lifted his eyes to look at Feyre once more. 

"My Fae are dying, Feyre." He began to slowly make his way toward her, "and I wouldn't do this if I didn't have to."

Feyre's eyebrows knit together in confusion.

"What? What do you mean, Rhys?"

But Rhysand only knelt down before her and brushed his callused finger against her smooth cheek.

The thought of midnight and blissful darkness overcame her as Feyre's eyes fluttered closed and she slumped forward. Rhysand reached out quickly before she could fall forward, and caught in his waiting arms. 

"I'm sorry." He said before he tucked his arm under her legs and lifted her into his chest. She was unconscious.

And then Rhysand brought her to the the door that led out to the forest, and he cursed himself for what he was about to do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rhysand walked far into the woods, carrying Feyre the whole way.

He set her down at the base of a tree and looked down at her sleeping face.

Rhysand was disgusted with himself, but he need information about the creatures haunting the Night Court. He would do anything to protect his court. Even if it meant putting Feyre's life in danger.

So with one last glance at the brassy haired girl slumped against the tree, Rhysand turned and left Feyre alone in the forest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rhysand returned to the forest once the sun vanished and the moon took its place. He found Feyre right where he left her, and then went around to the back of the tree.

He climbed the tree quickly and settled himself in a high branch, making sure that he could not be seen.

And then Rhysand waited for a creature to find Feyre.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It did not take long for one of those horrifying creatures to show up. Rhysand had been watching Feyre sleep for only an hour when he heard clumsy footsteps trampling through the forest brush.

Rhysand saw the creature as it crept up to the tree. It lifted its nose in the air and inhaled deeply. Then the creature reached down to Feyre, grabbing her ruffly around the waist and throwing her over its shoulder.

Rhysand bit back to guilt that pulsed through him. He watched as the creature bounded away from the tree, and then Rhysand dropped down from his branch.

He followed the creature through the forest, determined to find out where it was going, an what exactly it wanted with Feyre.