(16) Matteo is ruining his chances

Matteo

"I'm sorry I pushed you away. It's what I do when I'm afraid."

- Tumblr

Chapter 16

I looked down on the ground and traced the lines on the tile floor with my eyes.

I've been doing that lately since I was told my brother was in the hospital.

Seeing him lying there with all them tubes attached to his body scared the hell out of me.

I mean he was always quiet and you'd never really notice he was their but he was. I'd know for the most part but I'd usually just ignore him because he'd always push me away. Seeing him like this was an eye opener to me. I shouldn't let him push me away. He was my brother I should know what's going on with him.

I knew he never fit in much and hardly ever had any friends. His dad told me he liked being alone by himself, but was that really true? Finley was always nervous to ask people things and didn't like to talk because he was scared of saying the wrong think. Scared that if he says something wrong the people he cares about at just going to get up and leave him.

But did he truly liked being alone all the time? Surely he'd want to do something with someone at least sometimes. I never invited him to any parties or game nights and stuff I have with my friends because I thought that if he wanted to go he'd ask. But Finley was different, he probably thought if he asked he'd get rejected or think that he's invading in my personal space, which wasn't the case at all.

I needed to be a better brother to him. Maybe we weren't blood related but that didn't matter.

-

I hadn't told my mother or step dad yet. I was dreading the call but I knew it had to be done. 

I picked up the phone and dialed in my mothers phone number.

"Mama?"

"Matteo Hi! Your finally calling your mother after all this time!" She squealed.

Of course the one time I actually call my mom from college it's to tell her that her step son is in the hospital.

Chocking back a sob I told her what I called her for in the first place. "Mama Fin.. He-he's in the hospital." I whispered.

A loud gasp came from the other line. I pulled the phone from my ear as my mother let out a loud ear piercing scream. "Oh my god Matteo what happened!?" She yelled. I heard fumbling around and her calling for step dad.

"He and Scotty were on a date and as they were going down steps he tripped and fell down.." I said wiping my tears as I sniffled and told the horrible story through the phone.

"Oh my poor babies! Matteo I'll be over soon as possible." She said quickly before hanging up.

Just as my mother hung up Safari came in.

"Hey," he said sitting down besides me. "How are you?"

I turned and glared at him. "What do you think?" I spat bitterly. He flinched back at my tone. "S-sorry.. I just think that you should actually.. Take a bath.. And um m-maybe eat some food?"

I rolled my eyes and him and leaned back in my chair. "Im good." I said.

"Matteo-"

"Safari just leave, I don't need you here."
Matteo said irritably as he rolled his eyes, closing them.