(13) Matteo doesn't know

Matteo

A certain darkness is needed to see the stars.

- Tumblr

###################################

Chapter 13 (Safari Niles POV)

For the past few days me and Matteo have hung out a lot more, and unfortunately for me my feelings for him only continued to grow. I believed he only saw me as a friend and wanted nothing more than that. I mean occasionally he would say little things here and there about how I 'got such a nice ass' but other than that he just treated me as a friend.

I didn't know exactly how to explain my feelings for Matteo but I knew he was for sure an amazing guy.

Yesterday he was teasing me about how I wanted to kiss him (which was true) and he got all up in my face. We nearly kissed but at the last moment he pulled away and winked at me before going to his dorm. Let's just say I nearly fainted. I had sat on my bed and imagined his lips on mine like they were a year ago. At that moment I had wished I'd kissed him a lot more in the past.

As of right now I was going to meet up with him to play soccer.

I walked into the open field and saw him kicking the ball around by himself deep in thought. He looked so cute with that focused expression in his face. His long lashes was gazing down at the ball between his feet before he smiled a little and bit his bottom lip. I sucked in a breath and decided to actually walk up to him since people were starting to stare at me staring at Matteo for like five minutes straight.

"H-hey Matteo." I said suddenly nervous. He looked up at me and grinned "Safari! You made it!" He exclaimed before engulfing me in a tight hug. I hugged him back just as tight and forced myself to let him go as he pulled away from our hug.

"So.. You um ready?" I questioned. He nodded slightly while gazing over the field before turning his attention back to me making butterflies erupt in my stomach. "Finley's coming but until then we can play." He said with a smile.

I nodded once not trusting my voice.

For the past twenty minutes we played soccer and then unfortunately Finley showed up.

"Hey Fin." Matteo said smiling. Finley simply waved and pushed his brother off of him when he gave him a hug.

"We ready?" I said putting ball in the middle of the field. They all nodded and we got into positions.

Finley ran to the ball first and scored a quick goal. I scoffed and rolled my eyes when Matteo started acting all crazy and giving Finley all the attention for his score.

"Get back into positions." I snapped, putting the ball in be middle of the field again. They both ignored my rude behavior   and continued on acting silly. I stood there watching them with my arms crossed over my chest and a scowl of my face.

They finally got back into positions and this time I was the one to get to the ball first. I ran toward my goal with the ball rolling by my feet before Finley came out of no where and stole the ball and running around in the other direction before giving the ball one hard kick and scoring a goal.

I growled in frustration and glared at Finley as Matteo cheered him on. We set up again and Matteo got to the ball before Finley stole in from him and ran the other ran but I jumped in front of him and stole the ball before running away in the other direction with the ball between my feet. I heard thundering foot steps behind me before I kicked the ball the Matteo.

"We aren't play teams!" He yelled while jogging slightly with the ball.

"I know!" I yelled back before running towards him at full speed and taking the ball away and kick it hard into the goal.

"Damn."

-

After we played soccer I said goodbye to Matteo and he commented on how great my ass looked in my basketball shorts I was wearing while I was walking away from him making my face turn red in embarrassment. But needless to say, I was definitely wearing those basketball shorts more often.

I walked into my dorm room with a smile on my face and immediately went under my bed to do something I should've done a long time ago.

I pulled out the box and saw that it was empty besides the small note that was folded up in the corner.

I unfolded the note curiously while wondering who could it be from.

Hey sexy ;)

I just thought I should let you know something that I've realized. You are amazing, talented, gorgeous, and a great guy. You can't blame yourself for something your aren't capable of controlling. Unfortunately it was your sisters time to go. I know that sounds awful but it's true. Everyone dies for a reason, it may be a tragedy but you can't think of the way she went down. Think of the great times and the memories and all the fun times you had together. Think of all the lessons you've learned and all the battles you've faced with your sister.

I never really knew her but I'm sure she was a amazing person, after all she's related to you. Some things are just unavoidable. It's terrible the way she left but she's not truly gone, you just can't see her physical self. Her spirit is out there living her ghostly life and maybe she's watching over you. If she is how do you think she feels knowing that your beating yourself up over her? She wouldn't like it so stop. I don't like it so for me? Please?

I know when times are tough you just want to let go and disappear but you have to stay strong. Don't give up. Things may be hard now but just know the darkness can't last forever, you have to hold on just a little longer to see the light. It'll be worth it in the end.

Whatever you need Safari I'll be here for you whenever you need it. Don't be afraid or scared I will judge you because I'll be by your side know matter what (unless your a serial killer because if you are I'm running.)

Love, Matteo :)

-

When I finished the note I put it back in the box and out it the way it was the before. I smiled lightly while tears streamed down my face. Goodness I never thought I'd be in love like this.

Matteo was superior, at least to me anyways. I love him so much I don't think I have the words to say it without sounding like a crazy cliche teenage girl.

"Why you crying Safari?" My roommate asked me with a frown on his face as he walked in.

"Nothing," I said wiping my face and smiling brightly "I just realized I have something very important to do."