Chapter 19 - Realization

Start from the beginning

"That is- Just... An incredible story. Have you seen it again?" I feel curious and freaked at the same time.

"Yes, on the afternoon of the day you asked me on a date. I had said yes but thought about cancelling it. Trusting doesn't come easily to someone like me and I wondered if you were really interested or if you were playing a game. You can call it self-preservation. As I was walking to my car, I saw the wolf and the same feeling of comfort downed on me. As if saying 'no worries, it will be okay', and that is why I went through with our date."

"Amazing," I say almost in a whisper. "Do I have to thank a wolf?"

Nadine chuckles as she forks a piece of food. "I don't think the wolf is physically here, it's more like a protector spirit. I believe people see it when they need comfort. You must now think that I'm as crazy as Huritt."

"I know when people are bullshitting me, but I know you are telling me the truth. Even if it's a freaky one. I'm doubting all I know. Do you think anyone has seen it besides you two?"

"Who knows. What was Huritt doing when he saw it?"

"Opening his heart to Amy about his feelings for her. She turned him down, and that's when it appeared," I grimace.

"Why did she turn him down? Huritt is a good guy. All the Marshall brothers are."

"Then why didn't you pick Kitchi?"

"Kitchi? What does he have to do with this?"

"He had a crush on you, didn't you notice?"

Her surprised face says it all. She didn't.

"He never said anything to me or even gave me a clue about his feelings."

"Would you have gone out with him?"

"No, but not because of him. I wasn't ready to be in a relationship... Until now," Nadine's voice softens at the last words.

"Do you want us to be together? I swear I will always protect you," I hold her hands.

"You don't mind that I see an imaginary wild animal from time to time?"

I cup her face gently and kiss her lips for the first time. She doesn't know it yet, but she is my one.

"I will take that as a no then," she smiles and looks embarrassed. "Have you heard anything about Kitchi?" Nadine picks up our plates while I clear the leftovers.

"Just that he isn't doing well. I would like to visit him to tell him that everything is okay with the farm, but I can't drive myself there. I'm worried about him."

"Visiting hours are not over for the next hour and a half. If we leave now, we can make it."

I dress quickly and comb my hair with my fingers as we make the drive to the hospital. We find Kitchi watching a TV set above his bed and surrounded by tons of medical equipment. His eyes are sunken and his lips parched; those same lips break into a smile when he sees us.

"How are you doing? I miss you around the farm," I give him an awkward hug, seeing that he lies on a bed and has hoses and wires attached to him.

"Not too good apparently. Thanks for your and Amy's wishes. Hey, Nadine! Did you bring me something to eat? The food here sucks," he groans.

"Too bad I didn't know. I would have brought you something," Nadine moves forward to hug him. "We are all worried about you."

"The- Thing in those bags... Have me stable, but I'm completely lost in time. Top it with my mother here driving me mad. Istu unglued her from my side for a while."

The door opens, and Mrs. Marshall and Istu come inside. She frowns when she sees us.

"Kitchi needs to rest. This visit is over."

"Mom, they just got here," Kitchi says.

"The visiting hours are not over for another 30 minutes," Istu looks at his watch.

"I said that this visit is over. Your employees shouldn't even be allowed in here," she still watches us.

"Mom, Nadine and Chris are my friends. They can come and visit me anytime," Kitchi argues.

I feel uncomfortable and Nadine shifts on her place.

"We can leave," I say to Istu.

"No! You will stay. Mom, I don't want to see your face around here. Get out!" He commands.

Kitchi then grips his bedsheets and his body shakes. Istu hurries to press a button on the wall.

"See? This is your fault!" Mrs. Marshall yells at us.

"No! It is your fault!" Istu looks at his mother with so much anger.

Mrs. Marshall slaps Istu and leaves the room. A nurse comes in to check on Kit and adjusts something in his IV. Kitchi calms down after a few minutes but doesn't wake up.

"He fell asleep," Istu still rubs his red cheek. "Don't worry; this is normal in his current condition."

"I'm really sorry, Istu. We didn't want to cause you a problem," I say.

"I welcome this," he chuckles. "It's something I wanted to tell her long ago. You are welcome to visit Kit anytime you want. I need to have a chat with my brothers. We need to send that insufferable bitch back to whatever hotel she came from."

We stay a bit longer and have a light conversation with Istu. Kitchi doesn't wake up, and Istu looks tired, so we excuse ourselves and leave. As we walk through the hospital doors, we find Mrs. Marshall outside having an agitated conversation on her phone.

"This is your fault for raising Richard and Hayden like wild animals. My own blood, Isaac, challenges my authority and my poor Keith is still suffering the consequences from what Richard did..."

Nadine and I look at each other, surprise on our faces...