First Day of Christmas

Loretta was furious with her father for the sudden announcement of the engagement. She didn't want to marry. So she decided that instead of enjoying the rest of the party she would head to bed. She didn't want to hear people congratulate her or ask to see the ring. Than she looked down at her hands. She didn't have a ring to show anyone.

~~~~

Adam stormed to his parents room the next morning after the party. He had watched as Loretta slipped away. He had asked her hand maid where she had went and she had told him that Loretta went to her room.

It was all his fathers fault for her being upset. This wasn't the way it was meant to happen.

Adam threw open the door of his parents room. He didn't realize that he had just interrupted an intimate time his parents were having. Instead he yelled "how could you let him do that?"

"Son." His father said sitting up on the bed.
"Adam" his mother said falling backwards on to the bed. She quickly grabbed the nearest blanket and covered herself.

"This can wait." Adam's father said angrily.

"No it can't. Everytime I want to talk to you something comes up. I want to talk NOW." Adam replied growling out the word now. He was so angry he still didn't notice that he had interrupted his parents.

Sighing in defeat Adam's father rolled off the bed and stood up. He was naked but it didn't bother him. However Adam suddenly paled as he realized what he had done. And he looked towards his mother and lowered his eyes in shame. "I am sorry mother. I am sorry father. But this is really important."

"Well what is it?" Adam's father said now wearing a pair of pants.

"Father how could you sit there and allow Mr. Kane to announce my engagement? I haven't even given Loretta the ring."

"No ring. Why the h€ll not?" Jonathan asked his son.

"Well father I hadn't the time to ask her. When her parents had announced to her that we were to be married she was furious and stormed out. Than the party last night and same thing she left."

"Give her the ring" Jonathan said.

"Father she doesn't want to be married. And nobody asked me what I wanted. I don't love her. I want the type of love you and mom have."

"Adam I guess your father and I should tell you." Adam's mother said drawing his attention to her. She had dressed and was now sitting on the bed.

"Tell me what mother?" Adam asked curiously.

"The first time I saw your father was when I walked down the isle." She said.

"It is true Son. Our marriage was arranged." Jonathan said walking over to his wife and sitting beside her. He wrapped an arm around her waist.  "It took many years before love formed."

"I resented your father at first. Than he got sick. I nursed him back to health and realized that I cared for him. That care turned to like than to love. But your father is right. It took many years."

"Why didn't you tell me?" Adam asked amazed by what his parents just told him.

"Didn't think we needed to." Jonathan replied.

"My dear. Why don't we allow Adam and Loretta a few days to decide if this is what they want. We don't have to force them." Adam's mom said.

"I suppose. Adam you have twelve days starting today to win her heart. At the end of the time if you still don't want to marry her than we will call off the wedding."

Adam looked down at his feet. "Alright father."Adam turned to leave the room but his father stopped him. "And keep her purity in tacked. If you want to bed her. Marry her."

Adam simply nodded and left the room. He decided to head outside and look at the ice sculptures, Adam grabbed his jacket and headed outside.

~~~~

Loretta woke up to the sun shining threw her window. Blinking rapidly and shielding her eyes she yawned and wrapped herself up in the blankets.

"Miss Kane. Your mother has requested your presence. She says it's midday and there are gifts to give." Leteesha said coming into the room.

"Fine." Loretta said throwing the blankets aside and getting off the bed.

Dressing in a fine gown the colour of the sea. Loretta headed downstairs. Leteesha followed silently behind. Once they got to the family room Leteesha headed off.

In the family room was Loretta's parents, Adam's parents and Adam.
Curtsying Loretta walked farther into the room.

"Just in time Loretta." Her mother said.

"What?" Loretta asked confused.

It was Adam who stepped forward holding a small wrapped package.  "Here Loretta." He said handing it to her.

Loretta accepted the package and looked around at all the faces. They were all smiling. Frowning she unwrapped the package. As she looked at the small wooden box she heard Adam speak. "Loretta Lynn Kane. Will you marry me?" His hands touched hers as he opened the box revealing a diamond ring. She didn't know what to say but as she stared at the ring anger formed.

"I will not marry you." Loretta said passing the box back to him. Adam was hurt by her rejection but he promised his parents he would keep trying for twelve days.

"Loretta please at least think about it." Adam said quietly. She looked at him and shook her head. "I will not marry you."

"Loretta you will accept the ring and stop being a brat." Her mother said in a clipped tone.

"Mother I will not." Loretta replied. Than she looked at Adam's parents. "I am sorry. Please excuse me." Than se turned and left. She needed to get fresh air. And away from everyone.

(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)

On the first day of Christmas my betrothed gave to me a diamond engagement ring.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{6,950}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

Ok that time again. Please comment and vote.

Only 3,050 more word till the 10,000 mark. And this story isn't over yet. :)