Home

The carriage continued it's rumbling up the rock covered path. They had to pass threw town in order to get to Loretta's family home. A mile long ride away yet. As she looked out the window. She saw the destruction get worse. Loretta closed her eyes and said a silent prayer. When she opened her eyes again her thoughts went back to when the town was thriving. The coal mine created in the mountain brought many people. New houses and businesses sprouted up. Loretta's father ran a mill. Creating lumber and logs for building. He was the go to man for such things. And by the looks of the once thriving town. He would be the man once again.

The horses picked their way carefully threw the debris. They didn't seem to like the path and a few times the driver cracked the reigns. Loretta could hear him coaxing the animals along.

The sight of the huge boulders began to disappear as the carriage moved out of the town. Here new buildings began to spring up. Loretta noticed that some of the buildings she recognized. Could it be possible that the whole town wasn't buried as the old woman claimed it to have been?

Trees began to thicken as she looked up at the immense mountain. The signs of the huge slide gone from her sight. Cabins were seen nestled on the edge and still the carriage rolled on. Loretta began to think about the elderly woman who had told her about how poor she was. The aged woman wished she could buy her grandsons a present each.

So lost in her thoughts, Loretta didn't hear her maid hand calling to her. They arrived at her family home.

"Miss Kane" the maid had said as she lightly shook the girl. The maid knew her mistress was always "in the clouds" as her mother would say.

"Miss" the driver said. Breaking Loretta's thoughts. "We are here." She heard finally.

"Oh. Yes so I see. Thank you." Loretta said as the driver helped her down and than gathered her bags. Loretta's hand maid placed a cloak around her mistress's shoulders and led her towards the house.

The house was decorated with streamers, and a giant tree stood by the doors covered in ordainments and tinsel.

It was a beautiful setup and inside the grand doors, another tree was set up. This one was taller than the one outside and was lit up.

"Loretta." She heard her mother call out. Even though it had been two years since she had seen her mother she recognized the voice instantly. Turning to her right, she saw her mother and father coming down the stairs. Her mother seemed to float down the steps. Her gown flowed behind her like a silent waterfall. Her father had a suit and a pipe in one hand. Loretta walked gracefully towards her parents.

"My dear. It is so good to see you." Her mother said as she wrapped her arms around Loretta in a hug. Her mom stepped away from her, and her father silently hugged her. He stepped back and looked at his girl.
"Loretta head to your room and then come down for dinner. We have guests coming over to discuss the Christmas party that is tomorrow night."

"But mother I have much to tell you." Loretta said only to have her mother wave her hand silencing her.

"Loretta do as your mother says. We will see you in an hour for dinner." Her father said. There was no arguing with him. His word was final. Taking a breath, Loretta went up the stairs, her hand maid silently following. This was going to be a long holiday. Loretta was already counting the days until she could once again leave.

'Respect and honor ones parents.' Loretta heard the words that sister Helen had said to her when she left.

Loretta's hand maid drew the bath and helped her out of her gown. She even helped Loretta into the tub, the smell of lavender lulled Loretta. Relaxing her until she closed her eyes. Her mind wandered back to when she had left sister Helen and the rest of the nuns.

-------------------1, 448-----------------

This number ^^^ is how many words I am at. The words from the number down doesn't count. So only 8,552 more words.

~~~~~

The picture above is an actual picture. It is from Frank, Alberta, Canada. On April 29th, 1903, one side of the town was completely buried. It took 100 seconds And spread along ways. It is estimated that 70-90 people were killed. Only 12 bodies were recovered. Another six bodies would be uncovered in 1924.

I have personally been to Frank a few times now. It is a sight to see. The story I am writing isn't to make fun of anyone. The setting, to me, is perfect for what I have planned.