Coming Home

This is a short intro into my story. My character, Loretta Kane, faces a life-changing experience. Will it be for the better or for the worse?

-- intro--

Loretta  knew that Christmas was a time for giving and receiving, a time to remember others less fortunate than ones-self. It is a time for families to end their quarrels and come together. She knew all these things, The underlying problem for her this time of the year was her parents. They focus all their energy on what they do not have rather than embracing what they do have. Over the years, Loretta has grown cynical of Christmas. And she has been downright pissed off at "ungrateful" people.

Nobody can "do it all" and no one is perfect. Getting it all done is overwhelming, and it feels like a marathon that one has to sprint through.

-- -- -- --

The train rumbled down the tracks, and the landscape seemed to go by the windows in a blur. Loretta sighed as she once again looked around her tiny cabin. She was lucky to even get it. The engineer told her that two young women shouldn't be alone.  Finally after hours and many stops to gather new passengers and drop off some. It was finally time for Loretta to get off the train.

"Miss Kane that is your father's carriage." Loretta's hand maid said as she pointed toward a luxurious carriage.

"Thank you" Loretta replied absently. She silently headed towards the coach. The man at the reigns jumped down and opened the doors. Then he helped her into the carriage. Soon her hand maid also climbed inside, and the doors shut.

The sleigh rolled over the snow. The clopping of hooves against the ground filled the streets and made Loretta sigh. She didn't want to be heading back home. She glanced out of the curtained windows and frowned. The town seemed to be covered in rocks and rubble.  

Seeing an old woman struggling to walk down the rumbled streets. Loretta called out to the driver to stop.

The coach stopped, and Loretta opened the window. "Ma'am, would you like a ride?" Loretta called out to the woman. The woman paused in mid step and looked at the coach.

Loretta had the driver open the door and help her out of the coach. Loretta walked closer the woman. "Ma'am would you like a ride?" Loretta once again asked.

"My lady I cannot accept a ride. I have nothing to offer you." The older woman answered bowing her head. Loretta frowned at the woman's actions. Loretta knew she was a young woman of status but to her, everyone was equal. That is what the nuns taught her. 'We are all created in His image' the words from sister Helen kept playing time and time again in her mind.

"If you would be so kind. What happened here?" Loretta asked.

The older woman lifted her head "my lady, did you not hear? There was a landslide here. The whole town was covered. It was a tragedy. So many lives." The old woman kept shaking her head. And tears were forming in her eyes.

Loretta gasped as the woman spoke. She didn't hear at all about this disaster. "I never knew." Loretta said looking around at the giant rocks sticking up everywhere.

The old woman furrowed her brows. "Tiss nothing we can do about it now. However, I must leave. I have to find my grandsons."

"Please allow us to take you to them. I want to learn more." Loretta once again offered.

Sighing the elderly woman agreed and once again the coach was off. The driver was given instructions to take the elderly woman to the orphanage. Loretta learned that the woman's son and his wife were among the dead, and their children were orphaned. The older woman was the only relative close to take them in. She had also learned that the old woman had to sell most of her belongings just to get to the town to collect the children. It took her six months to gather enough money.

[][]Feeling a sudden need to help the woman Loretta decided that she would invite her to her family's house.

The older woman agreed to come to the house.

"You will love it. My mother loves to have parties. And she always has one before Christmas." Loretta said gushing slightly. The older woman smiled and waved as the driver snapped the reigns.

[][][][][][][][][][745][][][][][][][][][][][]

This is a story I am creating for the justwriteitt challenge. I have thirty days to write a story with 10,000 words. Let's see if I can succeed.

So please join me in my new journey. As we follow Loretta into this holiday season.