Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Jenna’s POV

I sat on the side of the bad, gently stroking my mother’s brown hair. I had woken up early in the morning as usual to make sure my mother’s feeding tube and everything was still secured. Since she was in a coma for so long and we couldn’t pay for the surgery yet, the doctors couldn’t keep her there any longer. At least they were nice enough to give me the equipment to keep her alive long enough to get the money.

“Mom, how did it feel being with dad?” I asked her, not really expecting an answer. I put a palm under my chin and gazed off into the distance. “Did you always feel comfortable around him? Was he easy to talk to? Was he funny and kind?”

I glanced at my mother’s delicate face and smiled. “You never did tell me how the both of you met.” A thought came to my mind and I frowned. “Maybe because it brought back too many memories. That would explain it.”

I felt my phone buzzing in my pocket and reluctantly pulled it out and put it to my ear. “This is Jenna.”

“J!” Lei squealed. “What are you doing right now?”

“Talking. Why?” I asked her. “Is something wrong?”

“No!” She exclaimed. “Was just about to go out for breakfast. Wanna come?”

I looked over at my mom. “Sure. Why not?”

“Cool. I’m heading over there now.” She said and hung up.

“Guess I’m going out mom.” I sighed and kissed her forehead. “I’ll see you soon.”

I got dressed in some holey skinny jeans and a light gray tanktop, tying my hair up in a sloppy ponytail. I dabbed a bit of make up on my face. Not really too much either. Lei arrived in exactly ten minutes which was a first for her. She’s usually late. She had on short shorts and a pretty white blouse. She grinned when she saw me on the porch, pulling out my keys to lock the front door.

“Good morning.” She said once she rolled down the passenger side window. “Come on! The donut shop’s gonna close by the time you lock that door!”

I let out a sarcastic laugh and slipped the key back into my pocket. Purposely, I started to walk in slow motion towards the car just to annoy her.

“If you don’t move your butt, you’re not getting free donuts from Ethan!”

I quickened my pace and jumped into the car. Hell no am I passing up free donuts.

“Hurry! Go!” I shouted as she stomped her foot on the gas pedal.

Lei batted her eyes at Ethan, resting her elbows on the counter between them. She’s always flirting with the poor guy for her own benefits. Which were donuts of course. What she probably didn’t know is that if she kept that up, Ethan might actually grow some feelings for her.

And I know that Lei doesn’t do the relationship thing.

“Just a couple dozen, Ethan. That won’t hurt, will it?”

He sighed, crossing his arms over his chest. “You can’t flirt your way into free food, Lei. It doesn’t always work.”

“It worked last Saturday!” She protested.

“That’s because you promised to go on a date with me that night!” He exclaimed. “Which, by the way, you stood up.”

Lei bit her lip and smiled ruefully at him. “Uh…I’m sorry?”

He glowered at her. “Really? Sorry?”

“I’m really sorry?” She suggested.