Maria shot a look at Chuck who was shaking his head in anger.

"You two were talking so loud, we couldn't help but overhear," Jenny explained as they all walked inside. "Is that why Mr. Carter purchased the cabin? Because of the murder?"

Maria waved her hands in denial. "Of course not. The murder happened years ago. It's still an unsolved mystery. I told Abby how Mr. Carter was so interested in it. Do you think that's why he bought the cabin? Sheriff Don's daughter died there but he still bought it."

"Maria," Chuck hissed. "That's enough!"

Maria squeaked before taking a step back and allowing Chuck to hustle her back out of the grocery store.

"Interesting," Jenny murmured to herself.

"I know that look," Cletus groaned. "That's the I think I smell a dangerous story kind of look. I hate that look."

Jenny lightly elbowed him in the stomach. "Stop being a baby. This is too juicy to pass up."

"Even juicier than who Alex Carter is dating?"

"Of course. Think about it. Why would Alex Carter be interested in buying a haunted cabin?"

"You do realize you're taking the word of an old gossip, right?" Cletus pointed to a window where Maria and Chuck seemed to be arguing outside.

"You never know where our next story is going to come from, Cletus. It wouldn't hurt to check it out."

Zachary Caldwell and Wally were bringing inventory in from the back when Jenny spotted them. She winked at Cletus before approaching Zachary who had two boxes on his lap.

"So, you're Sheriff Don's brother, right?" Jenny asked.

"Yes. Is there a reason you're asking me this?" Zachary handed his boxes to Wally before shooting a glare at Jenny for daring to pry into his personal life.

Unperturbed, Jenny continued. "I was just wondering if there was any connection between him and Alex Carter."

"Alex Carter?" Wally stepped next to Zachary. "Why would you think that?"

"Well, don't you think it's strange that he purchased a cabin knowing that the sheriff's daughter was killed there? Most people wouldn't want a place where someone was killed. Especially an unsolved murder."

"Not everyone is bothered by death," a voice from behind Jenny said.

She turned to see Sheriff Don squinting his eyes at her, arms crossed.

"Sheriff Don." Jenny's smile faltered. "Speak of the devil."

"I'm no devil," Sheriff Don said, taking a step forward. "I don't know what business you have in Bayless but as the sheriff here, I should warn you that this is a small town. We don't take kindly to outsiders prying into our personal lives."

Warning bells sounded in Jenny's head but she ignored them. "Why Sheriff, are you threatening me?"

Don looked away and laughed. "Not at all. I don't make threats, miss. I'm just warning you that not everyone will be kind to someone who's asking too many questions about something that's none of their business."

"I'm a reporter." Jenny raised her chin in the air. "It's my job to ask questions. That's makes everything my business."

"No, it's your job to report the news not to disturb the dead."

"Disturb the dead?"

"Let me make this perfectly clear. The death of my daughter who you're so casually asking about is still an unsolved murder. By asking questions, you're hindering my investigation. You ever slept in a county jail before?"