15: ON THE WATERFRONT

PHOTO above -  Captain Redd

**

A couple hours later, the two Jeeps roared down an open hillside leading to the north coast of New Britain and the town of Storms End. Lights twinkled below in the establishments and dwellings and out along the harbor on the many ships moored there.

Brad was driving now, having gotten behind the wheel after a brief stop with the other Jeep a few miles after the fiery roadblock, and a fresh wind off the straits swept over him as he downshifted to slow the vehicle for the down grade. He breathed a sigh of relief at the openness ahead, low-growth flats along the shore, happy to leave the steaming jungle behind.

"Thar' she is," Jimmy drawled, leaning forward eagerly into the front seat. "Storms End, fellas. The rowdiest town in all the South Pacific."

Clint snickered. "Sounds like fun. After all, life has been sort of boring lately."

This drolly delivered comment caused Brad and Jimmy to hoot in unison. They grinned at each other as Jimmy pounded Clint's shoulders.

"Poor bored Clint, eh? Chased by pirates, captured by headhunters, almost fed to the crocodiles ... and that's not exciting enough? Don't fret, my man. Brad and I will surely dig up some excitement for you here in Storms End."

"You can bet on it," Brad joined in, expertly maneuvering the Jeep around a hairpin curve. "If there's some kind of crazy shit going on in this town, you know damn well we'll bang right smack dab into it."

"Lotsa crazy tings hap'n in this town," Caruso agreed from the back seat.

"And it's just a matter of finding the one that's weird and wild enough for us," Jimmy affirmed.

Brad nodded a silent agreement. Deep down inside he hoped there'd be no more excitement to detour them from finding the lost island. There'd already been more than enough sidetracking in the last couple days.

He slowed down to follow the lead of the Jeep ahead, which had now reached the lowlands along the water. Redd made a quick left turn onto a road that led along the shore and into town.

Storms End may have been small but it was lit up like Times Square back home in New York City. As they drove through, Brad marveled at the action spilling out of bars, restaurants, and hotels. It was almost midnight, but apparently the seaport didn't settle down till much later.

Men of all races and nationalities roamed the streets with holstered guns swagging at their hips, some carrying rifles in hand. It looked like a scene from a Wild West movie. There were few women, and the ones out and about were mostly Asian or native and very exotic, all dolled up like saloon girls and hanging on the arms of tough-looking men. Music and laughter spilled out of open doorways onto the street as the Jeeps passed slowly through.

Clint was gaping around at the false-fronted buildings and wooden sidewalks. "This place looks like Dodge City in the western movies. And these guys here, like a convention of cowboys, explorers, and pirates."