Chapter TwentyThree - The Day I Survived

•Sang•

My head aches and my eyes heavy, my throat feels raw and scratchy and my whole body feels heavy; my chest feeling tender with each breath and my stomach feeling like i have a belly ache.

Opening my eyes the thing I see first is a bundle of balloons in the corner of the room. I already know I'm in the hospital; the sterile smell of the hospital room washes over me.

A voice speaks from beside me and I turn my head. Gabriel. He's talking but he's looking down at where our hands are; mine locked tightly around his. I close my eyes as I let his voice wash over me, listening quietly.

"She fucking told me that in her dreams, you hold her and Peyton tight, reading them stories, laughing and smiling. And you wanna know what I thought in that moment? I thought with a fucking smile that one day very soon that her dream will come true; that you'll fucking come home, wash their hair and tell them the best stories." I smile to myself. Would he really let me wash the girls hair?

"Not just for them, but for us. Luke needs someone to eat chocolate chip pancakes with. Nathan needs fingers to nibble on the fucking weirdo. Kota needs to count that number ten instead of jumping from nine to fucking eleven."

Gabriel moves and I open my eyes just a little. He isn't looking at me but our hands. He's crying and all I want to do is comfort him. " I need you, for so many things; to love you, to hold you, to do your hair and dress you everyday. I need you to carry more babies and I just need you to come home so we can love you." His body shakes and he drops his head to the bed, holding my hand in his.

I can't see him like this so I peel my lips apart and speak. "Meanie, I'll always come home."

His head flies up and his wet baby blue eyes meet mine. "Thank fuck." He stands up and leans over me, moving a few strands of hair from my face. "Your here; your eyes are open. Fucking hell, your here. Your alive."

I smile at him. "Didn't think you could get rid of me that easily, did you?" I joke.

Gabriel shakes his head. "Didn't want you fucking going anywhere anyway." He presses a quick kiss to my lips. "Fuck, your actually awake." His eyes widen. "I'll get the nurse."

"No, wait." I cry, my throat sore and dry and he looks back at me, a frown between his brows. "Not yet." I tell him.

"Why?" He asks, leaning over me and stroking his fingers down my cheek and over my lips.

"Because I want you to tell me more about the girls." I whisper. "I only know so much; Peyton prefers swings to slides at the park where as Rylie likes the monkey bars, Peyton does ballet on a Saturday morning and Rylie goes to gymnastics. Both girls like swimming and you go every Saturday afternoon before taking them out for dinner and then to the movies ever other week." Gabriel gets this soft look on his face as he gazes at me. I don't stop though. "On Tuesdays they go to Uncle's for dinner and on Thursdays Erica's. On Sunday's none of you ever leave the house and on Friday's after school you go to the cemetery."

"I know you've been watching, Nathan said. I just didn't ducking realise how much." He smiles down at me. Sitting back down in his seat, he holds my hand as he tells me everything there is to know about the twins.

Favourite colour.

Favourite food.

What bed time story they like best.

Their favourite movie.

And favourite subject at school.

I learn everything there is to know about them and can only groan in disappointment an hour after he started when the nurse came in to check on me. She wasn't happy that Gabriel hadn't come to get her but I told her that I was to blame.