Chapter Twenty-two

Start from the beginning

His eyes turned a dark, dark green all of a sudden and shadows shifted in them. “Can’t be around 24/7,” he taunted.

I started to lunge at him only to be stopped by Rose.

“Comrade, come on,” she said almost desperately, pulling on my arm.

I stayed tense for attack for a moment, glaring at Adrian.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Lissa look confused and horrified. Finally, I turned away, keeping Rose close.

As we walked away, Ivashkov called out, “Bye Rosie!” causing Rose to shudder and speed up.

____________________________________________________________

By the time we reached our room, Rose was shaking from fear.

“Oh, God, oh, God, no, no, no,” she kept mumbling, clinging to me.

As soon as we were in the privacy of our locked room, I pulled her into my arms, completely lifting her off the ground. I carried her to my bed and sat against the headboard, Rose in my lap and clutching my shirt.

“It’s okay, Roza,” I whispered, running my hands along her arms and back. I kissed her cheeks, her head, her shoulders. “It’s okay. Everything will be fine. He won’t touch you, milaya.” I continued rambling reassuring words, sometimes switching to Russian and never stopping peppering her with gentle pecks.

I kept this up until she finally stopped shaking calmed down. Then, I just gently rocked her, keeping my lips in her hair.

There was nothing I could do except comfort her and make her feel safe. I could do nothing to Ivashkov. Thankfully, I was speaking the truth when I said I could make him disappear. Even though that meant calling in a favor from Abe Mazur, it would be worth whatever I owed to keep Rose safe.

“He called me Rosie while he...” she said in a shadow of her voice.

I swallowed, feeling close to tears. I hated seeing her in so much pain.

“What did you tell him?” she asked suddenly.

I sighed. “Just to stay away from you and if he didn’t then there will be consequences.”

“Dimitri...I don’t want you to get in trouble for me,” she murmured, finally lifting her head to look at me.

I smiled softly. “I won’t, don’t worry.” I leaned my head down and kissed her softly on the lips.

Keeping our lips attached, Rose shifted so that she was now straddling me. She deepened the kiss, surprising me. I simply followed her lead.

With Rose in charge, the kiss rapidly turned passionate. Tentatively, she ran her hands along my chest, slowly caressing my muscles through my shirt. Though hesitant at first, Rose became more bold as I made no move to stop her. She slipped her small warm hand beneath my shirt while the other hand tangled in my hair, holding my face securely to hers. I let out an involuntary moan from the wonderful feeling which coursed through me at her touches. I felt myself become aroused as her tongue danced with mine.

I kept my hands on Rose’s hips, partly to show her she was in charge, which I felt she needed after today, and partly to keep myself in control. I had to pull myself from the kiss to breathe, but she continued to kiss down my neck. It felt so good; I never wanted her to stop.

It was almost empowering to have Rose in control. I was completely at her mercy and it was a heady feeling.

She raised her head back up to my lips, resuming our kiss as she slowly pulled my shirt up. Breaking the kiss briefly, she pulled off my shirt. I knew I should stop her, but it had been so long since I’d had enjoyable physical contact to this extent that I couldn’t find the willpower to stop it.