CH 4 The Stake Out

Start writing your story

Everett's POV- Jacobs casual wear pictured above.

Before I know it, it's Saturday and Jacob is banging on my office door all gun ho for this stake out on Rockwell. "Come in!! Damn your going to break down the door." I scoff as Jacob walks in.

I laugh when I see he is wearing a suite. "We are suppose to blend in! How are we going to blend in if you are wearing a god damn suite Jacob?" Jacob looks affronted at my out burst. "What is your problem Everett. I look fine." He says while looking down at his pristine suite with a critical eye.

I smile widely at that because Jacob does look fine in his suites. He is always dressed to the nines I want to see him in some draw string sweat pants and nothing else. I want to see the real Jacob not this one he presents to the world. "Yes you do look fine." I draw and Jacobs blushes profusely before taking a seat at my desk and skipping right over my flirtatious comment. "What's the plan for tonight?"

I sit back myself with all my paperwork forgotten while looking into Jacobs dark eyes. "Well I know where Rockwell is going tonight and we are going to discreetly follow him and see if we can find anything out by watching what he does and who he interacts with. See if we can't over hear something."

Jacobs scoffs. "How is that going to tell us anything Everett?" I shake my head. "Yee of little faith, I have a method it's proven, your the one that demanded you be allowed on the stakeout, so don't complain now that you don't like my game plan." Jacobs crosses his arms like a sulking child and it makes me bark out a laugh.

Jacob huffs and puffs some more about this being a waste of time and money. "Jacob have I billed you for a single hour on this case?" Jacob looks confused before asking. "Your right. Why haven't you billed me yet? Its been almost a month I know you have put in a lot of time on this case." Jacob looks deep in thought. "Hell Everett you never even asked me for a retainer. What kind of PI doesn't get a retainer?"

I laugh off Jacobs suspicions. "I told you the first day all though you probably don't remember Jacob, I will find out what happened to your dad because of the pain it brings you. And I won't take what's left of your money to do it either."

Jacob furrows his eyebrows. "What do you mean how do you know I'm almost out of money?" I look at Jacob skeptically. "Yes your my client but you would be surprised how many people hire me for what they have done. For what they are supposedly having me investigate, when in all reality they want to look the part or make sure they got away with it. I always do a background on the person hiring me."

Jacob scoffs. "Well now I feel violated and I'm not sure I feel right not paying you for your time. This is your business how you pay your bills." I nod yes. "And it's a surprisingly good business. I have more than enough cheating spouses cases to pay my bills but I love that you're worried about me." I say flirtatiously.

Jacob just turns even redder before sputtering. "Fine moving on when are we leaving?" I stand up and wave for Jacob to follow me. "Come on let's take you home to change. Do you own a pair of jeans? Or should I go to the mall?" Jacob follows in step with me. "Of course I have jeans."

I nod. "Then why don't you ever wear anything but your suites? Not that they don't look good on you but damn let your hair down, you don't have to be so put together all the damn time." We get in my unassuming dodge car and I head back towards Jacobs house.

Jacobs quite for a while then he breaks it. "My dad taught me a suite portrays confidence and that one should always wear it like a suite of armor in any dealings in life so you always have the upper hand in any situation. He always said it's better to be overdressed than under. Not only did I idolize my dad but he was very successful so I knew there was some method behind his madness."