30. THE MATE

Beginne am Anfang

"We should tell Mommy about him. He might be-"

Drake pushes me into a tree. It hurts a lot and I fall and scrape my hands. He sits on my back and pushes my face into the dirt.

"If you tell anyone I'm going to kill you!"

"Okay," I cry, "I won't tell."

[PRESENT]

[ALEX]

Drake was still talking about his plan to take over and I wished I could just rip his head off. Why was no one fighting him yet? He was probably just buying himself time until the-

Wait, that's it.

"Tristan he's stalling," I whispered softly, "His backup is probably on their way."

"Smart girl," Drake broke his speech to chuckle, "But you're a tad too late in your announcement."

A series of growls erupted all around us and rogue wolves ripped out of the clumps of trees, growling and snapping as they charged at us from beyond the tree-line.

I watched as Chase, Tristan, Vin and Sam leapt forward and changed mid-air, seeming to erupt into a ball of fur and when they landed on their feet, the rogues snarled, attacking them.

Tristan's massive brown wolf guarded me as he growled at Drake who had also turned into his grey wolf. He launched himself off the porch, pouncing on Tristan and pinning him down.

'Get inside.'

I nearly passed out at the sound of Tristan's voice in my head, only it didn't really sound like him. It was a deep growl that made my knees buckle under me.

'Now!'

I watched him flip Drake's wolf off of him before I ran inside and straight to one of the furthest bedrooms, slamming the door behind me quickly and putting a chair under the knob. My heart was racing a mile a minute and I sunk down on the floor close to tears. I hoped Tristan would be okay.

A few seconds later there came a loud knock on the door, startling me.

"Come out, come out wherever you are~"

[TRISTAN]

My own brother was trying to kill me.

Now, we'd never been close from the beginning but still, we shared the same blood. Did that mean nothing?

'Let's end him.'

Zain was trying to take over but I knew if he did, he'd be fighting in a feral state and would probably tear Drake apart.

I honestly didn't want to kill him.

He was my brother after all. Alex would hate it if I didn't at least try to restrain myself.

"You betrayed us! Our family!" I growled, encircling him with my eyes flickering black as anger was rising up inside me.

"You're pathetic!" Was his reply, "Isn't it obvious? You're not my family any more."

"Drake," My voice was steady as I struggled to keep control, ignoring the fighting going on around me. I was trying to reach out to him, hoping that maybe there was something there, a shred of hope, "You don't have to do this. You can still make it right with Alpha Jackson and come home."