BEAUTIFUL accomplishment

HANNAH

Lily was dressed in her uniform and I knew she couldn't stay for long. She threw herself at me, arms wrapping tightly around my shoulders as I held on to her waist. She was mumbling, her tone happy but coated with sadness and disbelief.

She pulled away sharply to grip my shoulders. "It's been two years, Bitch."

"I know," I laughed, pulling her into another hug. I choked back a sob, knowing that soon I'd have to let her go, and soon I'd have to leave again. All over again. "I know."

As the sun eased behind a line of clouds Lily and I decided to trek outside, to where the air was warm and thick. We followed along the dirt path that led down to the valley, laughing like nothing between us had changed. We ate lunch in the shade of a lemon tree as Lily told me about what she wanted to do with her life.

"I'm not really sure what I want to be," she began, her voice quiet as she leaned back against the tree, "I just know I need to get out of here."

"Why?" I asked, eyeing her inquisitively.

Lily shifted, "You're lucky, Hannah, despite what you think. I know moving is hard, but you've tasted parts of the world I only know exist because of textbooks. I've only ever known New South Wales." She paused, kicking at the grass by her feet as I nodded, understanding what she meant. "What do you want to do?"

"Write," I said, plainly, simply. I stopped, my head craning to the sky as I smiled, "and photography."

Lily grinned, "Like journalism?"

I shook my head no, "I like action shots best, they're most interesting, I reckon. Journalism isn't my thing." I paused, packing our left-over lunch back into the backpack before standing up, "And I like creative writing," I said, my voice going wobbly as I remembered the email. "I've been offered an internship with Penguin." It felt weird saying it out loud, I realised then that Lily was the first person I'd told.

Lily's eyes widened, "Like Penguin publishers?" I nodded. "Holy shit woman."

I cracked a smile, the edges of my lips curling as I let the information sink into my veins. I was excited, no doubt. I'd have to learn how to manage Grade 12 among the work, but I was so passionate about it that I'd make sure I had a plan. I'd find a way.

Lily stood beside me and we kept walking, our feet leading us along a path we both knew so well. Our chests rose and fell rapidly in the heat as we trudged along, and neither of us took the energy to speak until the path reached the end of the river, where Lily kicked a stone into the water. "Has Nico told you?" She asked, her voice warm and quiet.

"Told me what?" I questioned, my eyes on the canopy of leaves above us. I smiled internally at the thought of Shawn back at Nico's house, with images of the two boys I'd grown to love getting to know each other. It made my insides squirm.

Lily continued walking further, nervous mumbles escaping her lips as we reached the valley. I had to stop to purse my lips when I spotted Oliver's fruit farm in the distance.

"Nico asked me out." Lily stated, turning around suddenly with a face that showed that this was something that pained her to say. Her eyes softened in apology.

I gulped, my throat becoming dry. Suddenly the sun above us was twice was hot, the flannel hanging from my shoulders twice as thick. "Oh," I beamed, "Lil, that's wonderful!"

"Don't lie," Lily said, frowning, "I know it's not something you want to hear. And I'm so sorry, I just,- when you left he needed me, and when term finished I was here."

I ran my hand down my hairline, the heat making me agitated. Why was I so mad? It had been two years and, I... I'd lied to him.

Fuck, to think I was going to ask you out.