Chapter Thirty

"Our pack lands were about twenty miles from here, and the Alpha of our pack was one of the kindest wolves I have ever known. He never let anyone fall behind or go unnoticed, and because of this he not only allowed me and Allie to stay in the pack, but he helped us to thrive. He even helped me send in my college application," Micah says, leaning back into the overstuffed couch.

He readjusts Matty, laying him against his chest as soon as the baby falls asleep. They both seem comfortable, and even though Micah did not want to tell us his story at first, I am happy he finally is comfortable enough around us to open up.

"He wasn't even upset when I ended up being his oldest son's mate," he says, a wobbly smile on his face.

"You have a mate?" Ethan asks, a look of bewilderment on his face.

"Yeah, you have actually met him," Micah says, not looking up from where his fingers are rubbing along Matty's back.

"What? Who?" Erik says, looking around the room.

I roll my eyes, reaching my hand over to my mate to flick his ear. Sometimes my mates could be so dense and unobservant. I love them, but sometimes I question their observation skills.

"Jessie, right?" I ask, giving Micah a reassuring smile.

The omega looks up at me, his blue eyes meeting my own before he gives an almost imperceptible nod. He goes back to rubbing the baby's back, the motion seeming to calm his nerves.

"Jesse the beta? Why aren't you guys completely mated? You know, with the bite and stuff," Ethan says, motioning at his own neck to indicate his own mating bites.

Before Micah can answer, though, the beta we are discussing walks into the room. We all fall silent, watching as he walks over to the recliner adjacent to the corner of the couch where Micah is sitting.

"Because I am too old for him, that's why," the beta in question says, meeting all of our gazes before finally stopping on Micah.

His breath seems to catch as he stares at where Micah's hands are holding Matty's sleeping form to his chest. Micah does not seem to notice that his mate's eyes are on him. He just pulls the blanket he has around his shoulders off, maneuvering it so that it covers both him and Matty.

"You don't want to be with your mate because you think you're too old?" Ethan questions. With a heavy sigh, I collapse into the chair I am sitting in. It seems as if my mates are only capable of asking questions.

"I am too old for him. He is only seventeen, and I am twenty-four."

"Well, actually I am eighteen now, seeing as my birthday was sometime during the awful winter we had," Micah mumbles, finally looking up at his mate.

"Micah, you're still so young," Jesse says, throwing his arms up in exasperation.

"I am technically an adult now, so I can make my own decisions. Besides, your father approved of us as soon as he found out," Micah says, his voice hard as he meets his mate's gaze.

"We both know your own parents didn't approve of it."

"Don't you dare bring them into this. You know they were awful. All they wanted was to control me and my siblings. You were best friends with Levi for Christ's sake. You saw how they were with us."

Jessie does not say anything, just grinds his teeth in agitation before breaking his gaze from his mate and turning to look at the logs burning in the fireplace.

"Levi?" Erik tentatively asks.

"My older brother," Micah answers for him. Now that he is not having a stare down with Jessie, his gaze is once again fixed on Matty. The baby twitches as Micah pets his soft hair but does not wake up.