Seventeen

"I'm gay."

The two words were out and he couldn't take them back so he waited for his parents reaction and he could hear his heart beating faster.

They both looked genuinely surprised but not disgusted. They didn't seem the littlest bit disturbed.

"Phil-" Amanda said but then Matt abruptly stood, causing Phil to flinch and found it sad that he was still scared of his parents.

Matt then embraced Phil in a hug, taking him by surprise.

He saw Amanda smile and she hugged Phil as well before putting her hands on his shoulders and speaking.

"We will love you no matter what." Amanda said and gave him a warm smile.

"Besides, there's nothing wrong with anal sex!" Matt said cheerfully and Phil, for the first time, laughed at his father and very loudly.

"Dad!" Phil gasped but continued to laugh, Amanda soon joining him and Matt had a small grin on his face.

They embraced Phil in a hug once more then Amanda grabbed Phil's hands.

"Are you seeing someone?!" She asked and Phil knew his blush was evident on his pale cheeks.

"Is it the boy you keep leaving to?" Amanda gasped excitedly; she sounded like a teenager trying to find out her friend's crush and it made Phil happy that they didn't care that he liked boys.

"Yeah, it's him. His name is Dan. He's my boyfriend." Phil felt the butterflies in his stomach swarm as he called Dan his boyfriend. Something he never thought he would do.

"That's wonderful, we're so happy for you!" Amanda squeaked and Phil chucked.

"Thank you. Thank you so much for accepting me." Phil said to both of them, look at his hands.

"Phil, you're our son. We adopted you to take care of you and love you and although we didn't do that for years, we're going to do it now before you leave us and... live on your own, I guess. You've grown so fast." Matt looked hurt and sad but looked up at Phil and gave him a smile of proudness.

"Thank you. I'll be in my room if you guys need anything."

Phil had never felt so happy. Matt ruffled Phil's hair before he left io to go to room and he lie in bed, wondering what he had done or what had happened, why everything was suddenly changing.

He didn't mind; in fact, he was beyond excited. His parents accepted him, he had friends, he had a boyfriend. Who knew all this would happen?

Phil got up to go to the washroom when he heard his parents talking. He paused to listen to them, hoping he didn't regret it.

"Amanda, this is amazing! We're making progress. He's talking to us, he is telling us things, he's letting us into his life again." Matt's tone was full of joy and excitement.

"I'm glad he felt comfortable with telling us that. You really do accept him being gay, right? I do." Amanda questioned.

"Of course I do, his sexuality shouldn't affect how we treat him. I'm happy he told us."

"I know, I'm happy too. I still feel bad- we could've been good parents this whole time but we were selfish." Amanda let out a sigh.