Chapter 3: Seeing His Friends

Start from the beginning

"Casey!" Destiny says, her tail starting to wag as she gets up. "We weren't expecting you!"

"Well, neither was I," Casey mutters as she comes to him, taking the pizza boxes from his arms.

She ignores the comment. "It's good to see you." He shrugs and she squints, leaning closer. "Is that...stubble? That's new."

He touches his jaw and the faint scruff starting to poke through his skin. He hadn't noticed, not really. Most days he can't look at himself in the mirror. "Guess so."

She gives him a sad smile. Everyone just looks at him with sadness now. It's annoying. It makes his skin crawl.

"Des, is one of those the ninety-nine cheese pizza?" Michelangelo asks. "Dad will wanna know it's here."

"A pizza with that variety of cheeses is a culinary impossibility," Donatello says through a yawn, smacking his lips sleepily.

Sarina giggles, petting his head. "Indeed, indeed."

"Well, it exists, and it's right...here," Destiny says. She grabs the correct box, handing the rest off to Michelangelo before hurrying off to the dojo.

"What's up with you, Don?" Casey asks as he moves into the living room and hops down onto the couch.

"Caught a cold," he mumbles, tugging the blanket up to his chin. "I was worse yesterday."

"You'll be back on your feet in record time," Sarina assures him. She stands, eyes flashing as she looks at Casey. "Can I prepare anything for you? Tea?"

"Nah."

"I will get you tea."

He groans as the cyborg rushes off to the kitchen. Destiny returns to the living room with extra plates, settling in as Raphael, Michelangelo, and Annalise hurry to join them. Casey sits and watches as they pass out pizza, Michelangelo taking a whole one for himself. He sighs and lets his head fall back.

"So how's everything going, man?" Raphael asks as he sits down next to him. He takes a bite of his pizza, speaking around the mouthful. "Anything new?"

"Nah."

"You sure?" Raphael offers him a plate and Casey wordlessly brushes it away. "You can talk to us."

"I don't want to talk about it."

"Well, if you change your mind, we've got lots of listening ears," Destiny says.

He doesn't want to talk about it. If he talks about it, it'll be real, and...oh, who is he kidding?

She looks around the room at the various pizzas. "Guys, leave some slices for Leo."

"Better take 'em now before Mikey devours it all," Raphael says.

Casey sinks further into his seat, the black bandana he always wears starting to slip over his eyes. For a short while, no one says anything and he's left with just the sound of chewing and rustling cardboard while Destiny sets some food aside for Leonardo. He must be at work or something.

"Andy's moving to Syracuse for school," he finally mutters.

A drone of long "ohh" sounds come from all around him like a sudden swarm of bees.

"She's moving to Italy?" Michelangelo gasps.

Casey sighs. "No, Mikey, Syracuse as in the city four hours from here."

"Aw, that's way less cool, dude."

Casey pushes the bandana out of his eyes, scuffing his shoe on the floor as he blows another long breath out. "She's gonna live on campus with her friends. Just didn't think to tell me before...she..." His voice chokes and he clears his throat, face getting hot. "She leaves tomorrow."