Chapter 38: Love and Basketball

Early the next morning Rico woke Nikki up with a phone call to remind her about their dinner date. She opened one eye at the sound of her phone ringing, after she took off her eye mask before she reached for the phone.

"Good morning," she grunted into the phone.

"Tell me you are not still sleep at eleven in the morning?" he said.

She yawned into the receiver. "Yes, I was sleeping in since my mom decided she wouldn't go into the boutique this morning. I was going to go with her to get final approval on my sketches but she had a migraine so she decided to sleep in today and rest," she climbed out of her covers and walked across her room.

"I was just calling to remind you about dinner tonight before I left to play hoops with the guys."

She grabbed her hair brush off her dresser. "Okay, I will see you at six. Have a great game," she said letting out a loud yawn.

"Bye babe," he said before hanging up and walked out of his bedroom.

He jogged down the steps and out his front door to find Jevon, Kevin, and Chance waiting for him.

"Man you move slower than my grandma," Jevon said shaking his head and passed the ball to him. They started towards the court, hoping to catch a few competitors to play against.

"Last night was crazy. I mean my girl was snapping off, Gabby was about to pop off and Eric acting like he didn't know what to do with his jump-off." Rico said laughing.

Kevin, Jevon and Chance started to laugh. "You had a little rhyme going there for a minute," Kevin said jogging towards the court. "Girls always have issues with each other. They all should know by now Paula will go after anyone's man but Eric is an idiot. He walked into a situation he could have avoided by not even walking towards the girls in the first place.

He acted like he was proud and he didn't try to defend Paula. He just let her get her ass handed to her. Nikki, man oh man, she's definitely the girl you want to back you up. Rico, you had to drag her little ass away. I can still see her screaming this isn't over bitch." He said pretending to fight.

Rico shook his head laughing. "If I didn't have a grip on Nicole, Paula was really about to get her ass beat but I was not going to let my girl fight and Nikki was aiming for her weave."

Chance grabbed the ball out of Rico's grasp. "Gabby seems to be mentally tough but you could tell it was getting to her and that's why I stepped in. Unfortunately, I had to walk back to a bitchfest with Ariel talking shit all the way home. Ever since I got back from school she's been overly controlling. It's becoming a real turnoff. Don't get me wrong I love Ariel—but man she's really getting under my skin. "

Jevon raised a brow. "You were only telling everyone to bail before the cops showed up so I really don't understand why she had a problem," Jevon said, stretching against a bench. He grabbed his foot to stretch out his hamstring.

"Exactly, she didn't have a good reason to be upset and she was salty because I tried to break-up the argument and not only that she was mad at me for going over to Gabby with Kennedy and asking if she was okay. I was already aware of her situation and wanted to make sure she was not upset about what her ex was doing," he started dribbling the ball between his legs until Kevin snatched the ball out of his hands and tossed it into the hoop.

"Sounds to me like you have a soft spot for Gabby, am I wrong?" Kevin asked laughing. He tossed the ball back to him.

"I don't really know her. She's cool from what I could tell. I told her about the poetry night at the café starting next week since she's a poet. Something to get her socially involved."