Chapter 2: She tried it

The school bell rang promptly at two-thirty and Kennedy sprinted out of her chair, heading into the packed hallway and down the stairs to her locker. After putting up her books, she closed the door just in time to hear Nikki and Portia behind her.

"Ken-Ken, I swear if one more junior or senior calls me fresh meat, I'm going to scream." Nikki said huffing. "I can't stand that bogus mess," she said, leaning against one of the lockers.

"Yeah, some guys called me fresh meat but Jevon told them to leave me alone," she said with a huge grin. She tossed her backpack over her shoulder and started walking with her friends.

"Oh Jevon, he is so protective of you. You know Ken-Ken, do us all a favor and make a play for him, already." Nikki said winking.

Once they were outside the doors, Nikki pulled out her iPhone and starts singing one of Rihanna's songs, while she started dancing in front of them. "Alright peeps, I will catch you later. Peace out," she yelled, and jogged towards the parking lot to meet her mother who was picking her up.

"She's a certified nut," Portia said, walking beside her towards the back of the school. They went through the gym door and entered the girl's locker room and found an empty locker to share. "I'm a little nervous, Ken-Ken," Portia pulled her top over her head and placed it in the locker.

"You will be fine. It's just tryouts and you're already really good, so don't sweat it. You're a total bad ass and this is a piece of cake compared to the training you went through for track," Kennedy said pulling on her black shorts.

She didn't want to admit it but she was a little nervous too. This wasn't junior high anymore and she knew how mean cheerleaders could act when tryouts started. She quickly finished dressing and stood to give Portia a hug. "Good luck mamacita," she said smiling.

"You, too," she closed the lock on the locker and headed outside to the east end of the football field.

Portia walked slowly to where a group of girls where gathered and from where she was standing, she obviously didn't get the memo that she was auditioning for a rap video. Almost every girl was wearing skimpy booty shorts that barely covered their behinds. "God, just what I need, a bunch of classless divas," she mumbled to herself.

The coach, Ms. Dixon, stood on the sidelines, by the bleachers barking orders. "Can I have everyone's attention please? When I call your name, please step forward and give me your music you will be using today. Janelle Lewis, please step forward," she said, screaming into her bullhorn, watching the scared girl walk towards her and grabbed the CD out of her hand. "Thank you! Give me a second to queue the music."

The football tryouts were also about to start and when Jevon ran by with his football teammates all the girls stopped what they were doing to stare after them. "Now I know I have to make it," One of the girls said. Portia looked at her and couldn't believe what she was wearing. She had on a rainbow halter-top with a pair of extra short blue jean cut-offs, and she had the nerve to wear a pair of front lace boots that came up to her knee.

Portia shook her head before turning to the girl in back of her who was overweight and super ghetto with multiple colors in her hair. She was wearing a skirt made for a toddler, showing off roll after roll, after roll of fat on her thighs. Somebody needs to tell her that one-size, definitely doesn't fit all.

She did give her credit for being brave to even want to try out. "Portia Willis," Ms. Dixon yelled. She jumped and sprinted towards the coach with her music in her hand. This was the moment she had been waiting for all summer and first impressions were everything.

Kennedy had just finished her routine she choreographed to the song Thank U, Next when Courtney was called up next. She grabbed her water bottle and took a swig from the spout. Her heart was still racing from all the high kicks and the double back flip she did was flawless.