Chapter 23: Oh Hell to The No

Everyone walked through the school doors with long faces after the long holiday break. Nikki was running late as usual when she stepped into her first period class five seconds before the second bell begin to ring. Her teacher glanced at her watch before shutting the door behind her and rounded her desk to grab her chalk off the chalkboard.

"I hope you all had a wonderful break but let's get down to business, shall we. We will be studying the Great Depression. Please turn to chapter eight in your book and let's begin." She said, stepping to her podium and opened up her book.

Nikki looked around the room and back down at her book. She already had a feeling she would be one of the first to start to nod off into La La Land. On the other side of the building, Portia was sitting in her gym class benched because she left her sneakers at home, by the front door. 

She was watching from the sidelines as everyone ran laps around the gym room when she noticed her coach by the front door, talking to the principal and Ariel. She watched them closely as Ariel followed the coach to her office and after five minutes, she came out with a cheerleading binder, along with a uniform and pom poms.

Portia watched her smile as she walked to the door. When the coach walked over to the bench, she cleared her throat. "Excuse me coach, was that Ariel Reynolds?" 

The coach turned and leaned against the banister. "Yes, she's new and the newest member of the cheerleading squad. Her coach in Michigan called me and told me she was just what I needed to make nationals in May." The coach grabbed her whistle and blew it. "Everybody it's time for the cool down. I want you to walk three laps." She took a seat on the bleacher and started writing notes on her notepad.

Portia grabbed her phone out her pocket and hid it under her sweater. She had to let Kennedy know what was going on before she found out in practice. The news would surly make her mad.

Portia: I've got some scoop that will blow your mind. The coach just gave Ariel pom poms and the cheerleading manual so I guess she is on the squad.

Portia wiped the sweat on her brow and glanced down at her phone when it started to vibrate in her hand.

Kennedy: STFU!!!!! This can't be happening. Unbelievable, we will discuss at lunch.

Kennedy closed her book and stared up at the clock on the wall behind her teacher. Her morning was going pretty good until Portia dropped the bomb about Ariel and now she wanted to punch something or someone.

She hadn't talked to Jevon in three days and she wondered did he know Ariel was going to be on her squad. Her gut was telling her this was the reason, he's been so quiet lately. As soon as the bell started to ring, she leaped out of her chair and sprinted out the door. She was walking down the corridor when she spotted Ariel walking up to Jevon and put her arms around his neck. 

He quickly removed her hands and opened up his locker. Kennedy stopped abruptly sending the girl behind her books to the floor. "I'm so sorry." She said, leaning down to help the girl. She looked up and Jevon was gone. "This is just not my day." She mumbled to herself before going across the hall into her Algebra class.

Everyone gathered at lunch excited the first half of the day was nearly over. Nikki took a sip of her juice just as Kennedy plopped down in the seat next to her and said a weak hello to the table. 

"Hey Ken-Ken, what's wrong with you?" Nikki asked, watching her out the corner of her eye. Portia kicked her leg under the table and whispered for her to be quiet.

"Did Portia tell you that Ariel is on the cheerleading squad by default?" Kennedy asked, taking out her sandwich. Sabrina looked over at Courtney who started choking and patted her on the back. "What do you mean she's on the squad? How does a transfer just slid into the position without a tryout?" Sabrina asked, handing Courtney a napkin.