27. Counsel and Combat

Start from the beginning

So very alone...

The words of that woman I had met in the woods sounded in my head, the words from my dream.

"I'll always be here, right here. So don't ever feel alone"

Her words were meant to comfort me, but instead they only fuelled my dread. That woman...had she also...

Had she also been a ghost?

Up until now, everything I had come to know had been with regard to others- they were supernatural wolf people, they were a hidden society of a paranormal species, they were not supposed to exist, it had always been about them. But now...it was about me and what I am seeing.

I'm seeing ghosts...

Ghosts that whisper Luna, ghosts that bring ominous warnings and most of all, ghosts that only I can see. Ghosts...and not men, not even men who were supernatural, not even men who were...alive. Ghosts...

I'm seeing ghosts

I faintly heard the cold wind cutting through the thick rows of trees and ruffling the dry leaves, bringing them from their high branches down to the ground. The leaves hit the undergrowth softly, quietly, some even falling around me, and through my daze I heard one hitting the ground hard enough to make a sound. And I wondered...when I fell, would I make a sound, or would I fall noiselessly.

The woods were dark, the sky was dark and the path was dark. I couldn't see. And even if I could, how would know if what I saw was true? How would I know that I could trust what I saw? For nothing was as it seemed to be. The questions kept piling up and I had no answers, none.

I can't go on like this...I just can't go on!...

"Suzzanah?"

I jumped and a strangled scream escaped my lips as I turned around wide eyed. Through my blurred vision, I saw Megan standing a few feet away from me, her body tense, her features creased with worry.

"Suzzanah, are you okay?"

Her voice was still calm and even, but it was laced with concern. Was she worried about me? She took a step forward, her hand leaving her side to reach towards me. I blinked away the haziness from my vision wondering what was even causing it. It was not until Megan stood right in front of me and her hand squeezed my shoulder that it truly registered that she was here and that she had asked me a question.

"Suzzanah", I looked into her calm green eyes and felt myself jolt out of my daze. My eyes widened and I blinked several times trying to clear my vision.

"H-huh?" I breathed out, my voice coming out shaky and barely audible.

"Are you okay?" she asked again and I gulped and looked away. Licking my lips I nodded shakily not meeting her gaze, not wanting her to see the chaotic mess I was on the inside.

"Are you sure?" she asked and it took all of my remaining self-control to not break down. I couldn't tell her. I didn't even know if she was human or not. No matter what I couldn't tell her that I wasn't okay, not even a little bit.

"I'm fine", I lied before sniffing and sighing involuntarily, "I-I just, needed a little air"

She didn't reply and I cleared my throat before looking up at her. Her vibrant green eyes bore deep into my scared ones and for a split second I felt like she saw right through my strong façade. And when that second ended, her brow furrowed and her forehead wrinkled slightly, but apart from that, her face remained calm.

"This morning, you seemed a little disturbed, then you passed out", she said softly, watching me with concerned eyes, "And now..." she raised her hand and I was surprised when she rubbed it against my cheeks, "You're crying", she finished making my eyes widen as my hands came up to touch my cheeks. My fingers met with wetness and I gasped before quickly rubbing my sleeves against my face.