Chapter 22

The next morning when we all had to scramble outside for role call, we noticed that the ground had pretty much turned into a swamp or one huge mud puddle.

Last night, there had been a huge rainstorm. You could hear the rain pounding and slamming on the roof of the barracks. And it must have been a very poor roof because there were many leaks onto people’s beds or that created slippery puddles on the ground.

It was very difficult to move quickly to get in role call positions without sliding through the mud. But of course, we were expected to still move quickly and quietly.

The officers all had on black leather boots that allowed them to move much more swiftly than us prisoners who wore cheap old loafers. They were not slipping and sliding at all as they came to reprimand us.

Once we were all in our lines, it begun raining again. It was not pouring, but it was a steady amount. It was just enough to drench our clothes after an hour and a half.

Everyone was shivering by the time we were given breakfast.

I saw Felix briefly serving someone else; I hadn’t been in his line this morning. I was not avoiding him at all but his line had been decently longer.

We all ate in the barracks and stayed there until we had to go back out for work.

Some had hoped that the officers would not make us work in this weather. But I knew they would, they were not that sympathetic.

As we entered the workstation, I noticed Felix glared at Rivka as he handed her a shovel. His eyes were burning with anger.

When he handed me a shovel, his eyes softened significantly. I had to resist the strong urge to smile.

Uncle and David walked past with their group. I noticed Uncle looked more palish than I remembered. I wanted to believe it was just my imagination but I feared, based off his sluggish steps, that he was becoming sick.

David still looked well though. He smiled at me and tried to wave but was kicked in the back by a guard.

If uncle did end up dying or getting killed, David would have lost both of his parents to this camp. He would be left alone with people he hardly knew.

At least if I had learned both of my parents had died, I would not have had to watch their deaths. David watched his mother get shot and he would watch his father suffer.

I know what he would be telling me right now:

“I’m a man now, El, I can handle it. Don’t you worry about me.” He would say.

I would always worry for him even if I did escape.

The morning was slow because the hills were just plain awful. Everyone was sliding and falling as if we were all new. People would fall onto others. It was incredibly frustrating.

Sometimes, if you stood in one place for a long enough period, you would begin to sink in the mud.

Getting covered in mud made me long for a bath now more than ever.

Many officers just laughed at our struggling, it served as their entertainment.

 By lunch, we were all ready for our short break.

When Felix was serving me my lunch, I noticed he gave me my water first.

Knowing he did that intentionally, I drank it all quickly. He handed me the soup and bread before filling up my cup again. I offered him a small, grateful smile before I walked away.

Ten quick minutes later, it was back to work.

I was just placing some dirt in the discard hill when it happened.