Chapter 17

The next morning, we all still had to wake up early for role call. We were given breakfast and we had plenty of time to enjoy our meal. Many went back to sleep in the barracks after they had finished eating.

I spent a lot of my time worrying about my father, uncle and David. But I also would talk with Tziporah, Esther, Naomi and Susanne.

At lunchtime, we only had four guards present. I assumed they needed officers to help bring in new people and process them. Also, our barrack was now down to less than one hundred people which was near half of what it was when I arrived here.

Felix was one of the remaining officers. I got in his line as I normally did.

He seemed to be giving larger portions, and if anyone drank a lot of their water in front of him, he would refill it.

Seeing him do this made me smile, he really was trying to make a change in himself. Maybe I had made an impact on him through my outburst.

Right as I had finished eating, I heard Felix call down the barracks.

“A15429!” he looked at me.

I handed Tziporah my bowl and cup before heading to him. I assumed this was about my surprise.

Honestly, I wasn’t sure what he had in store. It could be a treat from the bakery or some new idea for his escape plan.

He was leading me towards Emmett’s office building and I started getting concerned. I viewed that place as enemy territory.

Clearly, he and I did not see eye to eye so what good thing could possibly come from going there and interacting with Emmett?

“Felix…?” I whispered, slowing our pace to show my hesitance. I couldn’t just stop walking, it would look weird to anyone around.

He glanced at me and squeezed my arm gently in comfort. “Trust me.”

“I do trust you, it’s your father I don’t trust.” I replied, careful to be quiet. I didn’t want anyone who passed us to notice our exchange.

Even though there weren’t too many officers walking around, I couldn’t let my guard down out in the open because there was still a chance one person could see us and ruin everything.

“Relax, he won’t even be there.” He soothed me as we reached the building. He didn’t seem anxious or tense at all. I tried to follow his lead and not freak out.

I was far beyond confused when he said this though. Was there a reason we had to come here? Where was Emmett? And how was Felix so sure we were safe here?

The main conference room was empty and I took that as a good sign. Felix saw this as well and released my arm.

“Can you explain to me now what we are doing?” I asked, wary of the door that led to Emmett’s office.

“Come with me and find out.” He smiled, a light seemed to dance in his eyes. I could tell he was pretty excited for whatever this surprise was.

I took his hand, intertwining our fingers and we went into the office.

Nothing could’ve prepared me for who was inside.

I never thought this was possible. It was risky as well. If Emmett did come back… things would not be good at all for anyone involved.

But I was so grateful for this chance… this opportunity, I could not let it go to waste. I would not throw this away. Every minute I would have was precious.