75. Kayla & Desicions

"Troye?" a girl's sweet voice calls through the phone.

"H-hi, Kayla. How are you?"

"I - I guess I'm fine, I haven't heard from you in so long - "

"I swear, I did mean to call you all the time, but life got busy."

"As life does. I was so worried  - You could have at least texted. Just once."

"I know, I should have..."

She sighs, and I can picture her running her hand through her hair, spinning in lazy circles in her desk chair, legs tucked under her, that night's homework left undone under a pile of books on her desk. "Anyways, how are you, Tro?"

"I've been better. Yesterday was kind of intense but otherwise I think it's been good here."

"Do they know?"

"Yeah. Yeah they do."

"I wish we had moved somewhere a million miles away from here, too. Wouldn't have to deal with these people or this place or all the things that just keep reminding me of everything that could have been or used to be - "

"So why'd you invite me there?"

"What?"

"Your mom was talking to mine today, apparently. And she invited us to stay at yours for winter break."

She doesn't say anything, but I can hear her rushing down the stairs to the kitchen, where her mom was probably baking something. "Mom? Did you invite Troye over for winter break?"

I can just barely hear her answer. "Yeah. I figured it might be good for them. And for you - "

"Mom, you could have at least asked me first - "

"Kayla, they might not even come, it's fine!"

Kayla doesn't say anything.

"We'll talk about this later, okay?"

"Fine." Kayla stomps upstairs, each slamming foot another wince on my end of the phone call. "Sorry," she mutters. "It's not that I don't want you here - "

"It's just that you moved on without me there and now you have to learn how to move with me there."

"Yeah, I guess that's it," she says, her bed frame creaking. "I'm sorry. And if you guys do decide to come, I'll be glad to see you. We all will."

"You sure it'll be okay, on your end anyways?"

"Yeah. I'm sure."

Before I go to bed, I tell Mum that I think it might actually not be that bad as long as we stay far away from the school.