70. Today & Ditching School

Connor called just as I was about to leave to catch the bus. "Ditch school with me," he said, almost as an order rather than a suggestion, though the slight tremble of his voice said differently.

"W-what?"

"I know I can't ask it of you, but I just...I can't handle school today."

"Con, I'm not sure - "

"You don't have to, I can't really ask you to do this. I just...need someone." He coughed. "Sorry, I shouldn't have even asked. I'll probably see you tomorrow - "

"Con, are you okay?"

"I - "

"Yeah, I'll ditch with you," I told him, hearing the tremble in his voice, the tears he had probably just been crying still on his cheeks. "Meet me at the ice cream shop in a bit?"

"O - okay."

Mum is completely wrapped up in a book when I leave the house, and I know that I won't get caught - when she starts reading, she doesn't stop, she's so wrapped up in the world of the book she's reading.

Tyde sends me suspicious glances but doesn't say anything when I take the keys to Mum's car and get into the car instead of following him to the bus. "Please don't tell," I hiss at him quickly. He only nods and goes on his way to the bus.

I start the car, turning left towards the ice cream place, stopping at the nearest red light to check the text I had just received. Please don't be Mum.

Zoe: I heard you're ditching school with C today

Troye: yeah can u tell me stuff i miss

Zoe: Yeah, no problem. You do know what day it is today, right?

Troye: ummm the twenty fourth of november?

Zoe: Yeah. Today's the day that his mom died. I've been there for him every year since it happened, and he's a mess every year. So just be careful.