No Tears No Sadness

I never got a letter for her. I didn't need one. Alphonse came to me, late at night after a battle. I was still covered in blood, my hair matted, and boots mudded. He must of felt bad for me. He even let me go and say goodbye. Let me fly away from battle. Let me go and see her. It hurt, heavens it hurt. Everything felt like it was falling apart. The empty dull ache in my chest never left. I wanted to scream. To shout. To cry. To feel anything! But I couldn't. And I wouldn't be able to for a long time.

-Sage

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ink!" Alphonse called to me walking into my room. "You're going on leave"

"What, why?" I asked stopping and staring at him. I had been in this war for seven years and not once have I been given leave. He looks away from me and covers his face

"I'm....sorry Ink" He said his voice muffled "I'm so fucking sorry"

"What do you mean, you're sorry?" I asked confused

"That girl, you use to meet with back on base....Marth" He stopped taking a deep breath "She was killed, on the front of the islands. I thought you'd want to say goodbye. You were friends weren't you?" His words make the world freeze around me. My body falls to the ground and I am filled with something. It hurt like nothing I had known. An empty ringing feeling throughout my body.

"I've got you on the helicopter back to base" He said "It leaves soon so you better get going or you'll miss it" I look up and nod

"You have two days"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wore my military uniform to see her. It was gray with black to mark my magic. It was the first time I had worn it. It was for formal occasions only. My cap was pulled down almost covering my eyes and my hair was pulled into a bun. I walked quickly through the halls unused to not having someone leading me. My steps are loud and I meet no others down the hall. I arrive at a door and as I open it it creaks. I slip inside and let it shut behind me. I'm here in the memorial room. I look and see no one else there. No other coffins except for one, lonely in the middle. It was unusual to say the least. My steps echo around the room and my heart pounds as I move forward. Closer and closer. I feel all breath leave my lungs as I look down into the coffin.

There she lay, as though she was sleeping. I might have believed she was if it wasn't for how plastic she looked. Her skin was pale and deathlike but someone had applied makeup to her cheeks making her looked flushed. Her lips which were normally pink and pale were painted bright red. Her hands laid on her chest with flowers covering her markings. Her blonde hair had been cleaned and braided. She looked peaceful and I felt as though at any moment her eyes might open and she would smile saying something like "Oh I fell asleep didn't I?"

I hated it. She looked fake. Unreal. Nothing like she should. I hated it. My hands clutched the sides of the coffin so hard that I was leaving indents. I hated it, I hated it, I hated it! I feel that empty ring again and shake my head. I can't even cry

"This wasn't suppose to happen" I whispered to her "You were suppose to be safe. This was suppose to be me. I was going to die. That was the plan, remember? Then again you never used to listen to us. Always going out on your own. Doing your own thing. But you always came back." My voice echoes around the room and my breathing is heavy

"You have to come back. Now! Right now! You can't leave me here Marth!" My yells fill the room bouncing and repeating around me "You're the only one who cares. If you're gone that means I'm alone. Please come back! Please! Give her back to me! I'll do anything! Take me instead, just bring her back. LET ME DIE IN HER PLACE!" My body shakes and my vision blurs. I fell to my knees, dry heaving.