Chapter 86: Hit First, Then Talk

Hey guys! So, I will probably not post anything this week because I have exams that I really need to study for (looking at you Waves and Optics). The good news is that I only have two weeks left of class and two weeks of exams (sadly my last exam is on the 23rd of December #physics! ). I really want to write but I don't want to fail my classes either because I'm supposed to start University in January and that won't happen if I fail a class. Anyway, have fun reading this chapter (no cliffhanger this time, I promise)! Don't forget to vote and comment :) Love you all <3

    "Stop! What are you doing?" I screamed, jumping between them. Rilos growled, motioning me to move away with his head. "No, I won't stay out of it. I don't want you to get hurt."
    I was forcefully teleported away and trapped inside a physical barrier. I tried using my powers and, without any surprises, it didn't work. I slammed my fists against it, tears of frustration hitting the floor as Rilos sank his teeth inside Vriany's neck. You idiot. Why do you keep shutting me out?
    I gripped my chest, a blinding pain suddenly piercing it. One of Keeshee's claw had gotten caught in a small opening. Is that the way out? She barked joyfully and pulled harder, sending another painful jolt throughout my body. I wish you would have found a less painful way, but as long as it frees you, I will endure anything. The world shook and Keeshee lost her balance, fell backwards and the hole closed again. Dammit, I really thought we would succeed this time.
    "Lyra? What happened? Why was Keeshee hurting you?"
    Rilos had transformed back and was shaking me lightly. I backhanded him. The sound of the slap echoed in the room.
    "You can't shut me out every time something doesn't go the way you want it to. And you," I snarled, pointing at Vriany. "You better tell me why you fought because if you don't, I will peel your skin very slowly with a knife like an apple. Do I make myself clear?" Rilos opened his mouth. "Was I talking to you? I don't think so. You will shut up and let Vriany explain to me why he did that despite me clearly saying that he would have to kill me first. Am I dead, Vriany? No? Why did you go after Rilos then? I'm warning you: If you lie to me, I will castrate you. I'm sure Balio would not appreciate so, if I were you, I will start talking right now."
    Vriany gulped down hard, blood seeping from the wound on his neck. I took pity on him and healed it before letting him speak.
    "He hurt you; I reacted."
    "One, did you not hear Feolrn say that everything happened in our head and that I was the one who jammed that piece of mirror in my throat? Two, I am able to hold my end of the rope against Rilos as I've demonstrated just now."
    "I meant before this week. I had warned him about waiting for you. He didn't."
    "So you attacked each other because he bit me? Vriany, although I appreciate your concerns, this is solely between Rilos and I. We both value your friendship very much and I know that he trusts you more than anyone. However, some things are meant to stay just between the two of us. That bite is one of those subject. I'm only going to say this once: Drop it."
    "Sorry, my Queen. I crossed a boundary and I won't do it again," he said, inclining his head in a submissive gesture. That was the first time he had ever acknowledged by his actions that I was of higher rank than him.
    "Thank you. You can go." He closed the door behind him. I sat on the couch and pointed at the other. "Sit down, Rilos." He obeyed without saying a word. "Why did you antagonize him? It was completely unnecessary."
    "I got mad."
    "I saw that. Were you mad because you thought it was true?"
    He hid his face behind his hands.
    "I had promised. I told you that I wouldn't do it until you were ready, but I still did it. How can I not blame myself? I hurt you."
    "Who said so? Vriany?"
    "You did."
    "Oh, did I? When? After we woke up? The spell had already been activated. I wasn't the one who said that; your imagination was. I was ready, Rilos. I am ready. I don't want you to hold back anymore."
    "You don't really mean that. You're just scared that I'll leave again."
    "Do NOT tell me what to think, Rilos," I growled. "I had wanted you to do this way before you actually did. Don't try to find an explanation where there isn't. I wanted this bite and I want you to do it again and again because I want to show the world that we belong to each other." I got up and sat beside him, placing my head on his shoulder, my anger dying down as soon as I did. "You know this would have happened even if you had waited, right? The spell would have still been there. You should blame Dark-Soul, not yourself."
    He rested his cheek against my head and sighed.
    "Sometimes, I wonder how you can still be optimistic despite things like this happening to you constantly. I'm sorry that I shut you out again. I just... I just wish you could be safe and that you would stop jumping in the middle of dangerous situations."
    "I'm not meant to be shielded. I want to stand by you, not behind you. If I get hurt because of that, so be it. Hiding is not my style."
    "The stars HAD to make my soul-mate as similar to me as possible, uh? Next time, use your powers instead of putting yourself in danger. What was Keeshee doing to you, by the way?"
    "Somehow, she had found an opening and was pulling on it. It hurt but I wanted her to be free so I endured it. The hole's not there anymore. I don't know how or why it appeared and disappeared, but I hope it does again."
    "I wouldn't say that if I were you."
    "Why?" I frowned. "Are you saying that you don't want her to come out?"
    "Of course not, Lyra. I want her to be free just as much as you do, but how much do you bet that it happened because you thought I was in danger?"
    "Dammit, you're right. Then she can stay inside me for all I care. Does your cheek still hurt? I hit you hard."
    "That you did. I don't blame you; I deserved that slap. Would you really have peeled Vriany's skin with a knife?"
    "Who knows?" I shrugged. "I wanted answers and it worked. Beside, no matter how angry I am at you, I will never forgive someone who hurts you."
    "About the bite, you really don't mind me doing it? Are you absolutely sure?"
    "It's not that I don't mind; I NEED you to do it. Before you did, it was like I was filled with frustration. Did you notice that I was more bite-y towards you too? It's almost as I was pushing you to do the same unconsciously."
    "I thought that you had taken a liking to doing that."
    "Not untrue. Do you think we'll be able to go back to how things were before?"
    "No. Experiences change people, their behaviour, the way they think and act. We are not the same as we were a week ago. We can't go back. Honestly, I don't want to. Today, your attitude was incredible. You stood up against me and for yourself. I want you to be like that from now on. Assertive and not afraid to do what you deem right."
    We stayed where we were, quietly. I thought about what he told me.
    "I wanted to be rescued and I never regretted getting out of there. Just so you know."
    "I believe you. I will never run away. From now on, nothing will make me leave your side. Even if you're angry with me, I will stay here with you."