Chapter 2

Laying on the floor beside the table, Layla covered her head to protect herself from a stray bullet. A booming voice in the background yelled ‘freeze’. Looking over, a huge man with a black ski mask and holding a gun was aiming at anything that moved. Luckily no one was stupid enough to rick an escape. A girl in front of her was dialing on her phone for the police, her hands trembling. A boot stood over her wrist, stopping her from making the call. Another huge man with a mask was looking down at her, gun leveled. Layla gulped, afraid for the girl that looked barely out of her twenties.

“What’cha got there, boy?” a smooth masculine voice slid through the mist of shouts.

                Looking up, she saw a handsome man with tousled dark hair, seeming to be in his early thirties. Surprisingly he didn’t have a mask on. His face was very masculine, stubborn chin and jaw with a full day’s shadow of stubble. His hair fell in dark locks around his face, a bit long and carelessly brushed back. His eyes were grey and sharp, even with a bored expression on his face. The man was tall with defined muscles, the kind men dreamed of. The ‘hottie’ kept surveying the restaurant, looking around and seeming to count how many victims were there. A crisp white shirt stretched over his chest, the top three buttons free. His leather pants hugged strong, long legs. Clearly this guy was often in the gym so he could achieve the physique he had. Layla shook her head, appalled that she was ogling a thief. The thug pulled the girl up and clutched her neck with his arm, gun at her temple.

“The little mouse was going to call the police, boss.” his arm tightened on the girl’s neck, choking her. A whimper came out of the young woman.

“Well, that’s not nice.” The hottie took the phone from the girl, throwing it into a black bag. More people in black clothes and wearing masks were doing the same. “We can’t have that, can we?” Leaning close, he gazed at the girl’s face, appearing to be checking her out.

                With a pout, he stood back, showing no interest. Right then his eyes became void of any emotion. “Get rid of her.” He turned and went to inspect her bag for valuables. I shiver of apprehension coursed through her body, making it act on its own. Layla rose on her hands, adrenaline making her act and not willing to let her die.

“Stop!” The gun leveled at the girl’s head was now aiming at her. Hottie turned and stared at her. His dark eyes flickering with menace.

“What did you say?” Layla gulped and raised her hands, mustering more courage.

“I-I said stop.” She cleared her throat so her voice didn’t sound so pitiful. “Please, don’t hurt her.” Mr. Hottie, or boss as the big guy called him, smirked while arching a perfect brow.

“What would you give me to save this little mouse’s life, beautiful?” She looked at him, wide eyed. Her instincts got all wired up, making her act rashly. Layla bit her lip, trying to think of something to say that might place her and the girl out f harm’s way. Instead, she said the thing that might get her or the girl killed. But she hoped it worked.

“Let her go, and... take me as a hostage.” Cold sweat gathered at her nape, sliding down her back. She stared at him with dread. Seconds passed as she grew more nervous.